Archived Story

DPS urges residents to clear gas meters of snow

Published 9:31am Monday, February 10, 2014

ST. PAUL  — The Department of Public Safety is urging Minnesota residents who have homes heated with natural gas to clear their meters of ice and snow.

Ice or snow could block the regulator vent and cause a malfunction — which could lead to a possible gas leak, fire or explosion, or interruptions in service.

Authorities advise people to call their gas company if meters are covered in ice.