Sports Memories: Feb. 23Published 6:00am Sunday, February 23, 2014
50 years ago: 1964
• The Albert Lea basketball team was defeated by the Austin Packers 78-63. The Packers were led by Al Berg with 21 points and Mike House with 20. Jim Bratvold scored 16 points and Pat Fogerty, 14, for the Tigers.
• The Albert Lea wrestling team won its seventh straight section title with 120 points to second-place Blooming Prairie’s 70 points. Winners for the Tigers were Mark Allen, Gary Neist, Mark Spleiss, Neil Skaar, Chuck Jean, Jim Carroll and Mike Roberts.
• Winners at the 17th annual Albert Lea men’s bowling tournament were Bud Boyd (singles), William Paul and Milford Egland (doubles) and Dick Lust (all around). The Kate team of Wally Guptil, Dick Lust, Dick Voight, Gwin Jones and Bob Benedict won the team event.
25 years ago: 1989
• The Albert Lea swimming team raised its Big Nine Conference record to 7-3 after defeating Owatonna 87-75. Chris Schmitz was a double winner for the Tigers with wins in the 100-yard freestyle and the 100-yard breaststroke.
• The New Richland-Ellendale basketball team improved to 10-3 in the Gopher Conference with a 71-52 victory over Janesville. Scott Johnson scored 29 points and Tim Boyer 23 for New Richland-Ellendale.
• In a first-round game in the Section 1 boys’ hockey tournament, Albert Lea defeated Mankato 6-3. Scoring goals for the Tigers were Bucky Christensen, 2, Fredrick Aldegren, 2, Dave Nystrom and Todd Williamschen.
10 years ago: 2004
• The Albert Lea boys’ basketball team won its ninth game in a row after defeating Faribault 66-64. Ben Woodside scored 29 points, Mike Behrends, 13, and Parker Skophammer, 11.
• The Glenville-Emmons girls’ basketball team defeated LeRoy-Ostrander 38-17 behind Chelsey Ziebel and Megan Bjorklund with 10 points each.
• The Northwood-Kensett boys’ basketball team raised its season record to 16-3 with a 82-45 win over North Central in a North Iowa Conference game. Scoring leaders for the Vikings were Lee Nelson with 20, Eric Parker, 13, and Preston Davidson, 12.