Sports Memories: March 30Published 6:00am Sunday, March 30, 2014
50 years ago: 1964
• The Kiester High School baseball team returned eight letter winners for the 1964 season. They included Dale Haukoos at pitcher, Warren Meyer at shortstop, Dale Wacholz at third base, Terry Halverson at catcher, Mike Meyer at first base, Bobby Hamsund at second base, Larry Sundvold in the outfield and Paul Haukoos at pitcher and in the outfield.
• Ed Stalker, the Glenville High School baseball head coach, greeted the following letter winners at the start of spring practice: Tom Struck, Dave Hanson, Dave Monson, Andy Knutson, Dick Offenhauser, Terry Adams, Larry Williamson, Chuck Butler, Ron Rasmussen and Ron Kycek.
• Camilo Pascual pitched a shutout for the Minnesota Twins in their 6-0 win over Houston.
25 years ago: 1989
• Named to the Southern Minny All-Conference basketball team in the Border Division from South Central were Perry Goerish, Dale Buendorf and Joe Goerish.
• The Albert Lea track and field team defeated Park Center 58-29 in its season opener. First-place winners for Albert Lea were Deb Thomas in the 50-yard dash, Lisa Zeman in the 440, Amy Jensen in the shot put, Judy Bumpos in the high jump, Amy Stay in the one-mile, Robin Heyes in the 880 and the two-mile relay team of Sara Hartman, Steph Hartman, Robin Heyes and Carissa Blair.
10 years ago: 2004
• JoEllen Bailey, a 1973 graduate of Glenville High School, was inducted into the Minnesota High School Softball Coaches Hall of Fame. She coached eight years at Southland High School in Adams. She took her 1988 team to the Minnesota state title with a record of 24-0. She also was the head coach at Winona State College for five years and was at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire for five years.
• Named to the Big Nine All-Conference girls’ hockey team from Albert Lea were Brittany Arendt, Tessa Christensen, Amy Leach and Laura Hillman. Christine Tubbs received honorable mention All-Conference.
• Named to the Big Nine All-Conference boys’ hockey team from Albert Lea were Casey Schumaker and Jon Breuer. Receiving honorable mention All-Conference were Tony Dugstad, Corey Ellertson, Tyler Hegwood, Beau Larson, Travis McKinney and Dustin Trail.