Firefighters put out a small machine shed and grass fire Tuesday afternoon at 17478 720th St. in rural Conger. The fire started while garbage was being burned in the backyard. – Colleen Harrison/Albert Lea Tribune
Firefighters put out a small machine shed and grass fire Tuesday afternoon at 17478 720th Ave. in rural Conger. The fire started while garbage was being burned in the backyard. – Colleen Harrison/Albert Lea Tribune

Garbage starts grass, shed on fire

Published 4:54pm Tuesday, April 22, 2014

CONGER — A machine shed received minor damage and a small area of grass burned Tuesday afternoon from a fire east of Conger.

Resident Bob Maxwell, who owns the property with his wife, Connie, at 17478 720th Ave., said he was burning household garbage near the machine shed earlier that afternoon, when he left the garbage smoldering to run into Albert Lea.

A barn cat sits to the side as firefighters put out a small machine shed and grass fire Tuesday afternoon at 17478 720th St. in rural Conger. The fire started while garbage was being burned in the backyard. – Colleen Harrison/Albert Lea Tribune
A barn cat sits to the side as firefighters put out a small machine shed and grass fire Tuesday afternoon at 17478 720th Ave. in rural Conger. The fire started while garbage was being burned in the backyard. – Colleen Harrison/Albert Lea Tribune

When he returned home, he said he saw flames “as high as the trees.” The garbage somehow started some nearby cardboard on fire, along with some old tires.

He said he burns household garbage every few days. He has lived on the property since the late 1930s.

The Conger Fire Department and Freeborn County Sheriff’s Office responded.