Sports Memories: April 20Published 6:00am Sunday, April 20, 2014
50 years ago: 1964
• Bob Lindeman doubled in the bottom of the seventh inning and drove in the winning run for Alden in its 6-5 baseball victory against Glenville.
• The Wells High School track and field team defeated Owatonna 71-38. Tim Colby won the 100-yard dash and the 220 for Wells.
• The Glenville High School baseball team defeated Freeborn 10-7. Glenville was led by Larry Williamson with three hits and Chuck Butler’s home run. Rich Bishop had three RBIs for Freeborn.
• Bruce Babcock threw a four-hitter and Jim O’Hara had three RBI’s for New Richland in its 6-1 win over Alden.
25 years ago: 1989
• In its season-opening match, the Albert Lea girls’ golf team shot a 185 to defeat Mason City’s 197 and Waverly-Shell Rock’s 234. Scores for Albert Lea were Leah Mattson 45, Michelle Harves 46, and Pam Stoltz and Melissa Boom, 47 each.
• The Glenville-Emmons softball team improved to 2-0 for the season with an eight-inning win over Janesville by a score of 13-12. Lynae Vanek had four hits for Glenville-Emmons.
• Winning pitcher Jill Gaetz was 4-for-4 with a home run, a double and four RBIs for Albert Lea in its 10-5 softball win over Rochester John Marshall.
• The Alden-Conger-Freeborn baseball team improved to 2-0 on the season after defeating Blooming Prairie 10-0. Wes Stoneback was the winning pitcher, and Mark Stoneback had a three-run double.
10 years ago: 2004
• The Albert Lea boys’ track and field team won the NRHEG Invitational with a score of 164 to St. Clair’s 125 and NRHEG’s 106. Winners for the Tigers were Taylor Zimmerman in the 1600 and 3200, Lionel Thomas in the 110 hurdles, Mike Veldman in the shot put, Corey Berggern in the 400 and Sean Harms in the 800.
• The Albert Lea boys’ golf team won the eight-team New Prague Invitational. Scores for the Tigers were Ross Stadheim 72, Ben Jones 76, Adam Elseth 77, Alex Lair 81, Matt Bennett 83 and Casey Bowman 88.