Sports Memories: April 27Published 6:00am Sunday, April 27, 2014
50 years ago: 1964
• The New Richland baseball team defeated Alden 6-1 behind the four-hit pitching of Bruce Babcock. The Cardinals were led by Jim O’Hara with three RBIs and Lyle Nuhring with two.
• Neil Pierce was named the manager of the Albert Lea Colonels baseball team for the 1964 season. Pierce was a graduate of Freeborn High School and Gustavus Adolphus College.
• Named as co-captains of the Albert Lea wrestling team for the 1964-65 season were Gary Neist and Ken Stauch.
• The Albert Lea boys’ tennis team defeated Austin 4-3. Winning matches for the Tigers in singles were Tom Butsch, Gary Olson and Paul Knutson and the doubles team of Tom Butsch and Ted Unseth.
25 years ago: 1989
• The Alden-Conger-Freeborn High School baseball team improved its record to 3-0 with an 8-6 victory over Medford. Rob Redmond picked up the win and homered. Erin Phillips, Mark Wodean, Mark Stoneback and Chad Rameriz each had two hits for Alden-Conger-Freeborn.
• The Albert Lea boys’ golf team defeated Mankato East 301-332. Scores for the Tigers were Steve Peterson, 71; Dave Fligge, 75; Chad Adams, 76; Chad Cliff, 79; Mike Oothoudt, 79; and Bucky Rasmussen, 80.
• In a triangular track meet, the Albert Lea girls took first place with 75 points. Faribault was second with 62, and Mankato West was third with 27 points. Carla Zevenbergen won the 200-meter dash, and Jenny Westcott won the 100 for Albert Lea.
10 years ago: 2004
• The Alden-Conger softball team defeated Glenville-Emmons 12-7. Kristin Faugstad had four hits in five at-bats, hit a triple, had three RBIs and stole three bases for Alden-Conger. Also for Alden-Conger, Nicole Bute was 3-for-3 with two RBIs, and Angie Wichmann had three hits and two RBIs.
• Nicole Stotts was the medalist with a 49 for the Albert Lea girls’ golf team in its 202-261 win over Waseca. Other scores for Albert Lea were Brooke Woitas, 50; Kaeli Wayne, 51; April Heilmann, 52; Aly Arnold, 55; and Kelly Hanson, 56.