Sports MemoriesPublished 6:00am Sunday, May 11, 2014
50 years ago: 1964
• Named as co-captains of the 1964-65 Albert Lea High School basketball team were John Hegland and Dave Mueller.
• The New Richland High School baseball team defeated Janesville 4-1 for its fifth straight win. Winning pitcher Bruce Babcock threw a four-hitter and struck out 11 batters. Lyle Nuhring tripled for the Cardinals.
• Helping the Wartburg College track team remain undefeated were Albert Lea graduates Lowell Syverson and Lothar Columbus. Syverson won the broad jump, and Columbus placed second in the mile run in their last meet.
• Al Lindeman pitched a three-hitter to lead Alden to a 2-1 win over Delavan. Paul Wittmer had two hits and an RBI for Alden.
25 years ago: 1989
• The Glenville-Emmons softball team raised its season record to 5-1 after defeating NRHEG 16-6. Janean Flatness hit a grand slam in the first inning for Glenville-Emmons. Tammy Hacker was the winning pitcher.
• At the Iowa Class 2A girls’ district track meet, Northwood-Kensett finished fourth out of 19 teams. The Vikings’ 3,200-meter relay team of Laura Weselmann, Renae Kragenbrink, Laurie Johnson and Heather Amundson placed first and set a new school record. Amundson won the 800 and 1,500. All four girls advanced to state.
• The Albert Lea boys’ golf team defeated Marshall 315-326. Scores for the Tigers were Steve Peterson, 73; Todd Intihar, 79; Chad Adams, 80; and Mike Oorhoult, 83.
10 years ago: 2004
• The Albert Lea Tribune selected its All-Area boys’ basketball team for 2003-04. First Team selections were Stephen Thorn and Ben Woodside from Albert Lea, Mike Yocom from Glenville-Emmons, Joe Woelfel from Lake Mills and Lee Nelson from Northwood-Kensett. Second Team selections were Mike Behrends and Parker Skophammer from Albert Lea, Jacey Reese and Zak Tracy from NRHEG and Brandon Haugh from United South Central. Third team selections were Ryan Moore from Albert Lea, Jeremi Throne and Jared Finer from Lake Mills, Tyler Ziebell from Glenville-Emmons and Eric Parker from Northwood-Kensett. The All-Area Coach of the Year was Matt Addington of Albert Lea.
• The Albert Lea softball team defeated Rochester Century 6-2.