Sports Memories: May 25Published 6:00am Sunday, May 25, 2014
50 years ago: 1964
• Results in the first round of Subdistrict 2 included Alden defeating Blooming Prairie 8-2 behind the pitching of Bob Lindeman. Bob Hoeg had three hits and three RBIs for the Blackhawks. Steve Fritz drove in both runs for Blooming Prairie.
• In another first-round game, Glenville defeated Ellendale 11-8. Tom Struck was the winning pitcher, Dave Monson had three hits and Tery Adams hit a two-run homer for the Trojans. Glenville defeated Emmons 6-3 in second round action. Struck had two hits for the Trojans. Brad Sweet had two hits for Alden in its 7-6 win over Freeborn in the second round.
25 years ago: 1989
• The Albert Lea softball team defeated Fairmont 14-8 behind the four-hit pitching and 14 strikeouts by Jill Gaetze. Jenny Smeby was 2-for-4 with a three-run home run, Monica Monk was 3-for-3 and Angie Olson and Jenny Molden each had two hits.
• Heather Amundson of Northwood-Kensett won the 800- and the 1500-meter runs at the Iowa girls’ state track meet.
• Forry Porter of Albert Lea shot a hole-in-one on the fifth hole at the Green Lea Golf Course in Albert Lea.
• Kory Newman threw a two-hitter for Alden-Conger baseball team in its 7-2 win over Medford. Mark Stoneback had three hits and three RBIs for Alden-Conger.
10 years ago: 2004
• The Glenville-Emmons baseball team defeated Spring Grove 10-5 and won the Southeast Conference title. Mike Yokiel and Josh Kluender each had three hits for the Wolverines. Glenville-Emmons finished the regular season with a record of 15-1.
• The Albert Lea girls’ basketball team won the Section 2AAA academic title. Members of the team were Heather Stegenga, Nicole Rafdal, Danielle Rankin, Cara Thorn, Niki Hendrickson, Katherine Ladwig, Elizabeth Thompson and Stacie Armstrong.
• The Albert Lea U17 girls’ soccer team defeated Austin 3-0 and Eagen 2-1. Katie Kjos scored two goals and Stacie Armstrong, one, against Austin. Laura Hillman and Chelsea Schumaker scored goals against Eagen.