Anti-aging surprises in Albert LeaPublished 10:16am Friday, June 27, 2014
Experts available locally for big city treatments
Most of the time to get quality anti-aging treatments, people have to travel to a big city. However, there are a variety of experts within Albert Lea who can provide quality anti-aging procedures so you don’t have to drive for miles to get the care you want.
Meet the experts:
• Zogg Dermatology offers many anti-aging procedures and products. It offers laser technology, which removes wrinkles and fine lines, reduces pore size, clears up acne and reduces scars and blemishes. Then there is intense pulse light therapy, which can help remove sun damage, age spots and redness. Zogg has Venus Freeze technology, which tightens skin to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and cellulite. Botox and Juvederm injections can relax and fill fine lines and wrinkles.
Deanne Zogg, registered nurse and office manager, said every patient is different and many people need a combination of procedures to achieve what they want. Zogg Dermatology offers free consultations to people seeking their services, and Zogg urged people to come in for a consultation if they’re interested in a service to learn what is best for them. Free consultations can be scheduled by calling 507-373-2270.
• Albert Lea Dental can erase away stains on a smile with its teeth-whitening service. Office manager Tami Janzi said the process is simple. Interested patients can call to schedule an evaluation. This evaluation will check to make sure there are no problematic crowns or fillings. If everything looks good, impressions can be made that day. From these impressions, custom trays are made, usually within a day. Whitening solution is put in these trays and fitted over the teeth. These trays are worn for six to eight treatments, either for a few hours a day or while sleeping.
Janzig said this usually gets the patient’s teeth to the color they want. Teeth naturally change color as people age, but Janzig said that after the whitening procedure, your teeth will never go back to the shade they were before. After about a year, a treatment or two of upkeep may be required. Treatment for the full mouth typically costs about $175. To schedule an evaluation, call 507-373-5658.
• Etcetera Tanning has two services they offer to help revitalize skin. The first is a red-light therapy bed. Red-light therapy stimulates collagen production, which diminishes the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and age spots. It also can diminish stretch marks, scarring and cellulite. It can help with psoriasis, eczema, acne, migraines and healing time for sprains and other light wounds.
Owner Jody Davis said customers praise red-light therapy. The bulbs in the bed are different than conventional tanning bulbs, and since there is no ultraviolet light, there is no tanning. Davis said for best results, going three to four times a week for 10 to 20 minutes per session is ideal. Results will appear after about four to six weeks. A 30-day unlimited package is $49.99.
Etcetera Tanning has a skin-conditioning hydration spa. The hydration spa blankets your body in a moist steam heat to open pores. There are three infrared panels at the top of the bed, and the direct infrared heat helps loosen up fatty tissues to help detox. The overall session can improve skin elasticity. Each session is about 20 to 30 minutes, and the results are immediate. However, the results don’t last long without proper moisturization and aftercare. Etcetera Tanning sells a variety of lotions and moisturizers to offset that. Sessions are individual, and it costs $15 for a 2-minute session and $20 for a 30-minute session.
Appointments for either of these services can be made by calling 507-377-8267.
• Uptown Dental provides Botox and Juvederm injections, in addition to providing dental health services. Family and cosmetic dentist Marko Kamel was licensed in 2011 to perform these injections. Botox is used to stop movement of muscles at the injection site and is usually injected in the forehead or crow’s feet.
Juvederm is a gel filler and is usually injected into the areas around the nose and mouth called smile lines. First, Kamel meets with the patient for a consultation. This consultation involves taking photographs of the patient’s problem areas and examining them to decide what procedures are needed and how many injections to use. The consultation and procedure can happen all in one day, and if an appointment is made ahead of time, both can happen the same day as a dental checkup. Botox typically costs $10 to $15 per unit, and Juvederm costs around $500. To schedule a consultation with Kamel, call Uptown Dental at 507-377-5033.
• Mayo Clinic Health System of Albert Lea has options for women experiencing menopause. For some women, hormone therapy may help. Hormone therapy uses estrogen and progestin, two hormones that help relieve menopause symptoms. The North American Menopause Society said that hormone therapy is the most effective treatment of hot flashes and is recommended for women with early menopause, but not recommended for breast cancer survivors.
NAMS also said that hormone therapy is low-risk for women younger than 60, can decrease risk of heart disease and can prevent osteoporosis-related fractures. Hormone treatment is individualized to each patient, however, and specialized approaches should be taken for each woman. To get in-depth information about hormone treatments or medication for menopause, schedule an appointment with gynecologist Fadi Yahya at Mayo Clinic Health System by calling 507-379-2131.
The clinic also offers plastic surgery services. Matthew Camp is a board-certified plastic surgeon and works in Owatonna and Albert Lea. He provides services such as minimally invasive grafts or topical cream prescriptions to full facelifts. Camp said that the younger you are, the more options you have.
For example, a woman in her 40s who wants to get rid of a few wrinkles doesn’t need surgery but can use a topical cream or chemical peel to get the results she wants. Undereye hollows and the formation of jowls can be fixed with a minimally invasive fat graft if it is caught early enough. However, if a lot of work needs to be done — especially if the patient is older — Camp can perform a facelift. However, facelifts are invasive surgeries that have a two-week healing process with bruises and skin that feels tight. He said that he prefers to offer minimally invasive surgeries first and go from there. Camp has a half-hour meet and greet with his patients before any surgery is done to determine what is the best course of action. To schedule a consultation, call 507-451-1120.
The clinic has a dermatologist, Chad Weaver, on staff. He can provide services such as skin checks, rash management, acne management, hair and nail disorders, skin cancer surgery and more. He can also do cosmetic services such as chemical peels and Botox and Juvederm injections. To schedule an appointment, call 507-377-4805.
• The GNC store at Northbridge Mall offers a wide variety of supplements, creams and products to help with almost any anti-aging needs. The store sells supplements such as Shredz Anti-Aging: Made For Women, $54.99 and Nutrex Hawaii BioAstin, $39.99. It sells StriVectin-AR Retinol, $109, Now Avocado Oil, $6.99, derma e Firming Toner, $14.99 and NIP+FAB Overnight Wrinkle Fix, $17.95.
Finally, be sure to remember that Albert Lea has Fountain Lake, but that doesn’t mean it is the Fountain of Youth. Take care of your health, and being healthy will make a person look younger.