Sports Memories: June 1Published 6:00am Sunday, June 1, 2014
50 years ago: 1964
• Albert Lea defeated Austin 2-1 to win the District 2 tennis title. Ted Unseth of the Tigers won the singles title.
• The Glenville baseball team fell behind Alden 9-0 after five innings but then rallied with 10 runs in the sixth inning and went on to an 11-9 victory. Chuck Butler hit a three-run home run and drove in four runs for Glenville. Bob Lindeman led Alden with three RBIs.
• In State Line amateur baseball, Kiester shut out Glenville 15-0. Winning pitcher Dale Haukoos recorded 18 strikeouts and faced 28 batters.
• The Wilson team defeated the Cabin Bar 5-4 in the City Softball League. Ron Rice threw a two-hitter for Wilson’s.
• Rick Jahns of the Albert Lea track and field team won the shot put by 1/4 inch and won a berth at the Minnesota state tournament.
25 years ago: 1989
• In subregion baseball, Albert Lea defeated Austin 3-2 behind the five-hit pitching of Mike Schiltz. Phil Adams and Tom Vandenheuvel homered for the Tigers.
• Glenville-Emmons won the District 2A baseball title with a 13-3 victory over Southland. Jeff Vierkant homered and had three RBIs for Glenville-Emmons.
• Named to the Big Nine All-Conference softball team from Albert Lea were Jill Gaetze, Jenny Ortgies and Monica Mook. Receiving All-Conference honorable mention were Jenny Molden, June White and Angie Olson.
• Named Big Nine Conference softball Coach of the Year was Albert Lea coach Jane Hanson, a 1973 graduate of Albert Lea.
10 years ago: 2004
• Awards were presented to four members of the Albert Lea boys’ swimming and diving team: Ben Matheson, Hardest Worker; Mitch Johnson, Most Valuable Player; Josh Anderson, Most Improved Player; Derek Nelson, Rookie of the Year.
• The Albert Lea U13 boys’ soccer team defeated Eagan 3-1. Scoring goals for the Tigers were Adam Clark, 2, and Lars Gjersvik.
• The NRHEG baseball team defeated Waterville-Elysian-Morristown 6-3. Jerry Balfe had two hits and three RBIs for NRHEG.