Sports Memories: June 8Published 6:00am Sunday, June 8, 2014
50 years ago: 1964
• Craig Plante of Albert Lea won the medalist honors at the Region 1 golf tournament in a playoff. Plante was tied with Tom Dickie from Rochester at 75 strokes after 18 holes. Plante had four strokes in the first playoff hole to a six for Dickie. Plante tied for 13th place at the state tournament.
• The Elbow Room defeated the Jaycees 9-6 in a City Slow-Pitch League game. Rog Mangskau had three hits including a double and a home run for the Elbow Room. Vic Nelson homered and tripled for the Jaycees.
• Joyce Schreiber of Albert Lea won the Class A Peoria event during Ladies Day golf event at Green Lea Golf Course. Ione Dombroske was first in Class B and Sandy Narverude was first in Class C.
• In an Iowa Summer League high school baseball game, Lake Mills defeated Northwood 9-6. Don Brackey and Roger Bang each had 3 RBIs for Lake Mills.
25 years ago: 1989
• Chad Adams of Albert Lea shot a 69 in the first round and finished with 144 to win the Class AA Minnesota state golf tournament.
• Named to the Big Nine All-Conference baseball team from Albert Lea was Mike Schiltz. Receiving All-Conference honorable mention was Tim Hoyt.
• Steph Hartman placed first in the 3,200 meter run and her twin sister, Sara, finished second in Region play and both moved on to the state tournament.
• The Glenville-Emmons Legion baseball team defeated Alden-Conger 13-5. Tim Kral was the winning pitcher, and Shannon Froendt had three hits and 5 RBIs for Glenville-Emmons.
10 years ago: 2004
• Qualifying for the Minnesota girls’ state track meet from United South Central/Alden-Conger was Amy Christenson in the 100-meter high hurdles and the 300-meter intermediate and Jamie Klein, who placed second in the 3,200-meter run.
• In Iowa girls’ high school softball, Lake Mills defeated St. Ansger 4-1. Jaci Grotewold and Stacie Gaskill each had two hits for the Bulldogs. The winning pitcher was Mindy Bjelland.