Sports Memories: July 6Published 6:00am Sunday, July 6, 2014
50 years ago: 1964
• Grace Lutheran defeated Trinity Lutheran 16-4 in a Church League softball game. Mike Hoffman and Dave Long homered for Grace in a four-inning game.
• In an Albert Lea City Slow Pitch softball game, the Elbow Room were victorious over Scotsman, 11-7. Chuck Lindgren and Bob Winjum each hit two-run home runs for the Elbow Room.
• The Albert Lea American Legion A baseball team defeated Mankato 10-7. Leading hitters for Albert Lea were winning pitcher John Hegland, Denny Wahlstrom and Ron Holton with two hits each.
25 years ago: 1989
• The Alden American Legion baseball team raised its season record to 6-9 after defeating Welcome 3-2. Wes Stoneback was the winning pitcher.
• Mitch Lang, 19, of Albert Lea won the Star of the North State Games 10K run in the 19-24 age bracket.
• Advancing to the state finals of the Hershey track competition from Albert Lea after finishing first or second in the region meet were the following: Kirstin Nowak, first in the 200-meter dash and second in the long jump; Amy Newgaard, first in the softball throw and second in the mile run; Melonie Hill, Lori Rechzigel and Kristie Edwin, first in the 800; Hill, Rechtzigel, Edwin and Nowak, first in the 4×400 relay; and Erwin Carlson, second in the 200.
10 years ago: 2004
• Named to the Tribune’s All-Area baseball team were the following: Jared Butler and Ryan Truesdell from Albert Lea; Greg Opseth from Alden-Conger; Wade Flattum, Michael Greibrok, Alex Hansen, Devin Kaasa and Mike Yocom from Glenville-Emmons; Brandon Haugh, Ben Linder, Kenny Sandt and Adam Schrader from United South Central; Joey Balfe, Jason Churchill, Ben Groth, Bjorn Peterson, Jacey Reese and Brett Wangsness from NRHEG. Adam Schrader was named Player of the Year, and Thomas Williams from USC was named Coach of the Year.
• The Albert Lea U15 Classic 2 soccer team defeated Dakota Revolution 3-0. Scoring goals for Albert Lea were Nicole Ball, Whitney Wilson and Kendra Olchefske. Madi Passingham was in goal for the shut out.