My favorite places to eat out in Albert LeaPublished 10:10am Thursday, July 17, 2014
A Happy Medium by Erin Murtaugh
If you think about it, there really isn’t a whole lot of variety for restaurants in Albert Lea, especially if you are trying to avoid a chain eatery or a fast food joint. With the busy schedule I have, I often find myself going out to eat rather than cooking for myself. I wish I cooked more often, but time just doesn’t always allow for that. Here are my top favorite places to eat in Albert Lea.
5. Erbert & Gerbert’s: While Erbert & Gerbert’s is a chain restaurant, there really aren’t many options for sandwiches in town. The staff there is friendly, fast and good at what they do. My personal favorite is a Pudder on wheat bread with strawberry jelly and a cup of Minnesota Wild Rice soup. Yes, I like to order peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. No, it is not your ordinary PB&J. There is a layer of bread that separates the peanut butter from the jelly, making it a unique sandwich experience.
4. Green Mill: Yes, another chain restaurant. Ever tried their Diablo wings? They’re amazing. Also, I’ve become quite the fan of their chicken Caesar salads. On occasion, if I’m craving a burger or pizza, I’ll go there too. The Western Mill burger is pretty delicious.
3. The Elbow Room: I recently rediscovered my love for the Elbow Room. I hadn’t eaten there in years. Then, one day last summer I stopped there for lunch with a friend. I went there again this summer for lunch with the same friend and have found myself there a few times since. There’s something special about their burgers and the small restaurant atmosphere which make eating there such a neat experience.
2. B & B Cafe: During the school year, a fun way to start off the school day would be to wake up just a little earlier to get breakfast before school. B & B is the perfect place to go for that. The staff makes you feel like you’re at home, and the food is delicious. There’s not much better than starting your day off with a pancake as big as your head. They’re also open for lunch during the week, making them a good lunch spot for people working during the day or students during the summer.
1. Taco King: Anyone who knows me, knows that my favorite food is tacos. With two locations in town, there is never a Taco King too far away from me. The new location has really nice hours, too, making it easy to get a bite to eat later at night if needed. The staff is really good at creating fast and friendly service.
It’d be pretty cool to see more mom and pop restaurants with more variety show up in Albert Lea, but at least we aren’t left optionless for the time being.