Archived Story

Feds expand Minnesota flood disaster declaration

Published 3:03pm Saturday, August 2, 2014

ST. PAUL — The federal government has expanded Minnesota’s flood disaster declaration to 24 more counties and two tribal governments.

Last month President Barack Obama declared a disaster in eight Minnesota counties damaged by flooding, unleashing federal funds to help repair millions in damages.

The state Homeland Security and Emergency Management division said Friday that the declaration now covers 32 counties and the Red Lake Band of Chippewa and Prairie Island Indian Community. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is reviewing six other Minnesota counties affected by summer floods.

Gov. Mark Dayton says he’ll continuing pushing to add those six counties.

Members of Minnesota’s congressional delegation also say the U.S. Department of Transportation has awarded Minnesota a $5 million statewide grant to repair roads damaged by flooding.