Editorial: Welcome to Albert Lea, Samboree
Published 12:00 am Friday, May 19, 2006
Depending on the weather &045;
and the weather seems to be leaning toward the nice side &045; between 400 and 500 recreational vehicles were expected to roll into Albert Lea at the Freeborn County Fairgrounds on Bridge Avenue on Thursday and today for the Good Sam Club’s Samboree.
We wanted to say: Welcome to Albert Lea!
We are glad you come to our fine city here between our lakes and look forward to you returning to our city every year.
Some of you have been here before. Some of you have not. We thought we would give a list of ideas if you’re looking for something to do while you are here.
– Take a walk south on Bridge Avenue to New Denmark, say hello to our mermaid and stroll over the bridge to Katherine Island.
– Drive leisurely &045;&160;though, because of trees, probably not in the RV &045; on Lake Shore Drive, accessed best via Lakeview Blvd. on Fountain Lake.
– Play golf at Green Lea Golf Course on Richway Drive in Albert Lea or head north on County Road 45 to the Clarks Grove Golf Course or go to Freeborn and play the Oak View Golf Course or play Holiday Park on County Road 46 east of Hayward.
– Bicycle on the Blazing Star Trail. The trail starts at Frank Hall Park. We have a story on today’s Outdoors Page about it.
– Visit the Albert Lea Farmers Market between 9 a.m. and noon Saturday.
– Stop by the annual plant sale the Shades of Jade Regional Garden Clubs between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday at Northbridge Mall on Bridge Avenue.
– Buy some books at a book sale in the garage below the Albert Lea Public Library between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. today and 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Saturday.
– View art at the Albert Lea Art Center downtown between noon and 4 p.m. today or 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday. Images on the adventures of felines go through when their owners are away is on display, an exhibit by Daniel Joseph Buettner.
– Go to the Story Lady Doll & Toy Museum downtown at 1 p.m. Saturday. Barb Goodeman presents a program on historical Barbie dolls. Cost is $2.
– Take in an American Legion parade downtown at 4:30 p.m.
– Wake up to a breakfast open to the public on Sunday at the American Legion downtown. Cost is $5.
– Watch the Land Between the Lakes Triathlon at 9 a.m. at Edgewater Park, which is found at the northwest edge of Albert Lea, best reached via Lakeview Blvd.
Of course, there’s plenty of fun found in the stores and specialty shops here in Albert Lea. And feel free to turn to the classifieds to find rummage sales. Most of all, relax, have fun and smile.