Weekend Planner: Doggie Dip and Short Stop Golf Tournament this weekend
Published 9:29 am Thursday, August 28, 2008
The second annual Doggie Dip is at the Albert Lea pool this weekend.
The Albert Lea Parks and Recreation Department again presents an opportunity for dogs to swim in the Albert Lea Aquatic Center, now that it has reached the end of the swimming season.
The event takes place from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Dogs must have proof of vaccination. Pool passes don’t matter here. The fee is $4 per dog, and that payment allows two people into the pool, too. There is a $1 charge for each addition person.
Email newsletter signup
Jenny Davis, recreation program supervisor, said there were more than 20 dogs that came last year, and she figures participation will increase Sunday.
“People really seemed to like it. We had people come out last year who didn’t have dogs and came just to see what it was like,” she said.
Davis said the Doggie Dip gives dogs and dog owners an opportunity to socialize. She said water works well because dogs generally enjoy water.
Last year there were no problems. She credited that to owners knowing whether their dogs would enjoy the pool.
Dogs must have proof of current vaccination. Pool staff will be looking at dog tags or paperwork.
The following is a roundup of other events happening in the area this weekend:
– The North Star Corn Maze one mile of Northwood, Iowa, presents “The Civil War.” It opens Friday and runs through Nov. 2. The corn maze costs $5, and there is a $2 parking fee. On Sept. 6 and 7, in the hay field east of the corn maze there will be reenactments of the U.S. Civil War. There is no charge to watch.
– The Pelican Breeze II will host a pizza cruise at 6 p.m. Reservations are needed by 4 p.m.; call 383-2630.
– The Albert Lea Farmers Market is open from 9 a.m. to noon.
– The Short Stop Golf Tournament kicks off at Green Lea Golf Course. Qualifying rounds start go from 7:30 to 9 a.m. and again from12:30 to 2 p.m. Saturday is for qualifying and the tournament takes place Sunday and Monday. It is the oldest match-play golf tournament in the state of Minnesota.
– The Pelican Breeze II will host a narrated cruise at 4 p.m. No reservations needed.
– There will be a dance at 8 p.m. at the Eagles Club, featuring music from “Arlan & Butch.”
– Match play for the Short Stop Golf Tournament starts at 7:30 p.m.
– The Pelican Breeze II will host a narrated cruise at 1:30 p.m. It is dubbed the Labor Day White Party. No reservations needed.
– Match play for the Short Stop Golf Tournament starts at 7:30 p.m. An awards ceremony takes place immediately after the final hole.
– The Bayside Skiers present their final show of the season. The performance this season is “The Flintstones.” The ski team will begin their yabba-dabba-doo time at 2 p.m.