Tina and Lena, ‘Cinderella,’ book sale, breakfasts on tap
Published 9:14 am Thursday, November 20, 2008
Tina and Lena are back.
Senior Resources of Freeborn County will present a performance of the duo at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center, 147 N. Broadway Ave.
For 24 years, Tina (Sue Edwards) and Lena (Annette Hustad) have been entertaining audiences throughout the Upper Midwest and around the U.S. with music, humor and fun. Their clean, clever style of backyard wit and wisdom is intertwined with their blend of two-part musical harmony.
Email newsletter signup
Advance tickets to the show are $13 per person and can be purchased at Senior Resources, 1659 W. Main St., Skyline Plaza; Hy-Vee Foods; Nelson’s Market Place; and Doyle’s Hallmark at Northbridge Mall. Tickets at the door on the night of the show will be $15 per person. The theater box office opens at 6:30 p.m. Seats are limited.
Senior Resources is a nonprofit agency whose mission is to provide programs that assist seniors in being independent and a contributing member of their community. Proceeds from this event will assist the service programs of Ride Services, Chore Services, Family Caregivers Network, Senior Advocacy and the Tri-County Retired & Senior Volunteer Program.
Sponsors for this event include U.S. Bank, Albert Lea Moose Lodge, Innovance, Washington Ave. Apartments, Nancy VanderWaerdt State Farm Insurance, Albert Lea Eagles Aerie No. 2258 and Security Bank-Minnesota, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Freeborn County Chapter 31190 and the Albert Lea Chapter are providing supplemental funds for this event.
Following is a roundup of other events happening in the area this weekend.
Friday, Nov. 21
– The Albert Lea Rotary Club will hold its annual book sale from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. in Skyline Plaza. Both paperback and hardcover books will be available. There will also be a silent auction.
– St. Theodore Catholic Church will hold a fish fry from 5 to 6:30 p.m. in Marian Hall. Fish, baked or mashed potatoes, cole slaw, rolls and ice cream with toppings will be served. Cost is $8 for adults and $3 for children ages 4 to 12 years. Children under 3 eat free.
– Youth for Christ Mini Golf will be open at Northbridge Mall from 7 to 9 p.m. Cost is $5 per person.
– Albert Lea High School will present Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” at 7:30 p.m. in the school auditorium. Tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for students. Tickets are available in advance at Doyles Hallmark, Addie’s Floral & Gifts and at Tone Music. Tickets will also be available at the door.
Saturday, Nov. 22
– First Lutheran Church of Albert Lea will hold “Holidays Ahead” from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Bethany Hall. Lefse, crafts, Christmas decorations and more will be for sale. There will be treats for sale at the Scandinavian food table and a bake shop. A luncheon, featuring chicken hot dish, cranberry salad and pie, will be served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tickets are $6 per person and will be available at Holidays Ahead.
– The Albert Lea Rotary Club will hold its annual book sale from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Skyline Plaza.
– Northbridge Mall will host a sports card and collectibles show from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
– Youth for Christ Mini Golf will be open at Northbridge Mall from noon to 5 p.m. Cost is $5 per person.
– Albert Lea High School will present Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” at 7:30 p.m. in the school auditorium.
Sunday, Nov. 23
– American Legion Post 56, 142 N. Broadway Ave., will host a breakfast from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Pancakes, eggs, sausage, potatoes, juice and coffee will be served. Cost is $6 for adults and $3 for children under 10.
– Sons of Norway Normanna Lodge 52 will hold a rolled pancake breakfast at the lodge, located near the City Arena, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Rolled pancakes, ham, potatoes, eggs, lingonberries, coffee, juice and milk will be served. Cost is $6 for adults, $3 for children ages 6 to 12 years, and kids 5 and younger eat free.
– Albert Lea Hockey A Pee Wees will hold a pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Albert Lea Moose Lodge in Skyline Plaza. Pancakes, eggs, sausage and hashbrowns will be served. Cost is $5 per person; children 5 and younger eat free. Albert Lea Thunder players will be available to sign autographs.
– Northbridge Mall will host a sports card and collectibles show from noon to 5 p.m.
– The Albert Lea Cantori and the Albert Lea Area Youth Choir will present “Singing in the Season,” a concert of seasonal Advent and Christmas music, at 3:30 p.m. at Albert Lea United Methodist Church. Admission is free.