Minnesota-Texas series canceled
Published 9:25 am Thursday, July 29, 2010
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota’s goal to upgrade its nonconference football schedules has taken a hit, with two games against Texas canceled due to a disagreement over video rights.
The Gophers athletics department confirmed the cancellation Wednesday. The Longhorns were scheduled to play at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Sept. 19, 2015. The Gophers were slated to visit Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin on Sept. 17, 2016.
“It’s extremely disappointing,” Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi said. “The kind of agreement we could not come to is the same agreement every other school on our schedule agreed to. Every other school in the Big 12 agreed to this.”
Texas officials declined immediate comment.
The schools have not met in the sport since 1936.
The video rights issue is complex, related to wording in contracts that protects the networks televising the games regarding how and when footage can be used. Minnesota’s commitment to the Big Ten Network is part of this issue.
Still, Maturi and university officials were upset about the impasse. They learned earlier this month that Texas was backing out.
“We have a signed agreement,” Maturi said. “If we wanted to go to court, we’d win. But that’s not our style.”
In a statement provided by the school, head coach Tim Brewster also expressed his displeasure.
“Our fans and our team were excited to play Texas. Obviously, they weren’t as excited about playing us,” Brewster said. “We plan to fill that slot in our upcoming schedule with a quality BCS opponent.”