Council to vote on sign installation
Published 1:36 pm Saturday, April 9, 2011
The Albert Lea City Council on Monday is slated to vote on a project aimed at improving the safety of bicyclists riding around Fountain Lake.
The council is considering whether to install 25 “Share the Road” signs, funded by the Statewide Health Improvement Program, for the route of the lake.
The goal of the signs is to raise awareness of bicyclists riding around the lake and to inform motorists that there are frequently bikes on this route.
Email newsletter signup
City crews will be responsible for the sign installation.
Sign costs by SHIP are estimated at $3,000.
During the Monday meeting, the council will also:
• Vote whether to terminate the agreement for financial services with the city of Austin.
The Albert Lea and Austin City Council members entered into an agreement at the end of February to share Austin Finance Director Tom Dankert.
Both cities have since decided the arrangement is not practical.
• Vote whether to accept a Federal Emergency Management Agency assistance grant awarded to the Albert Lea Fire Department for $51,315. The grant covers the purchase of various equipment and supplies to deal with hazardous materials. The city’s match is $2,700.
• Vote whether to accept feasibility reports and call public hearings for two improvement projects slated for this summer.
The first is for the reconstruction of North Lincoln Avenue, including the replacement of watermain, sanitary sewer and curb and gutter, along with the replacement of existing gravel surface with a bituminous roadway.
Estimated costs are about $131,000, with about 46 percent being assessed to adjacent property owners, 19 percent coming from the city’s sanitary sewer fund, 19 percent coming from the city’s water fund and 16 percent coming from the city’s general fund.
The second project includes resurfacing the downtown alleys between Washington Avenue and Broadway Avenue from College Street to Water Street.
Estimated costs are about $150,000 with $116,000 being assessed and the remainder being city costs.
• Vote whether to extend the term of the city’s cable franchise with Charter Communications as negotiations are continuing.
• Vote whether to amend an agreement with Western Star Lodge to allow alcohol to be sold in the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center
• Vote whether to approve an administrative survey for properties along Cato Drive and Hawthorne Street of a few residents there who would like to combine and divide various lots.
• Vote whether to block off Garfield Avenue from Fairlane Terrace to Hawthorne Street from 4 to 8 p.m. May 19, for Thorne Crest Retirement Community’s annual car show.
• Vote whether to allow the Old Car Co. to hold car cruises in the North Broadway Avenue parking lot and Albert Lea Medical Center parking lot on various weekends throughout the summer. The dates include June 4, July 4, July 9 and Sept. 3 from 4 to 10 p.m.
• Vote whether to block off Echo Street to the back half of East Plaza Street for the Battle of the Bands event June 12. The event is being hosted by the United Way and Bergdale Harley-Davidson and will begin at 11 a.m.
• Vote whether to approve a request to have the Fountain Lake 5 race and Southwest Middle School’s Tiger Trot starting at Brookside School on April 16.
• Vote whether to approve a request to have the Land Between the Lakes Triathlon May 22, starting at Edgewater Park. Organizers are requesting that Edgewater Drive be closed after the race begins from 8:30 a.m. to noon.
• Vote whether to approve a request to have the Land Between the Lakes Kid’s Triathlon on June 4. Organizers are requesting to close Frank Avenue from East Front Street to James Avenue, along with James Avenue from Frank Avenue to the Children’s Center parking lot. They are also requesting to use the side of the road on Front Street as a bike path.
• Vote whether to approve a request to close a portion of Fairlane Terrace for an open house graduation party on May 27.
• Vote whether to approve a request from the Jaycees to place a sand pile at 804 E. Main St., the site of the former Mexico Lindo building, for a filling of sandboxes fundraiser on April 30.
• Vote whether to approve a request to place a unit at the North Broadway Avenue parking lot every other Tuesday for the Homeless Veterans in Rural Areas program.