You Can Help

Published 12:52 pm Saturday, April 23, 2011

The following are some of the volunteer opportunities currently open in Freeborn County. If you can help with these or would like to volunteer for others, call Pat Stumme, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program director, at Senior Resources, 377-7433.

Freeborn County Bike-A Thon: You can support the riders for the May 7 Bike-a-Thon fundraiser for cancer research at the Sibley Elementary School Warming House here in Albert Lea checking in the riders as they leave the course. This assures a safe day for everyone. Please call Pat at Senior Resources, RSVP, to sign up for a 2- to 3-hour shift and encourage a friend to come with you.

Intergenerational Garden: Let’s make Spring lively and lovely together. Help children at the Children’s Center to plant their flower garden. Adult volunteers come one morning late in May and help each child plant one or two petunias and then water them. Call 377-7433 and ask for Pat to sign up and help a child learn how flowers grow.

Email newsletter signup

Volunteer Driver: You can help seniors maintain their independence when they are no longer able to drive to their appointments. Ride Services of Freeborn County needs additional drivers-one or more days a week. Drivers are reimbursed for mileage and receive trainings; call Marilyn at Senior Resources, 377-7433, for additional information and to volunteer.

RSVP, a program of Senior Resources of Freeborn County, receives some funding through the United Way of Freeborn County, the Minnesota Board on Aging and the Corporation for National and Community Service.