Chicken coop damaged by fire

Published 2:54 pm Monday, May 21, 2012

Glenville and Hayward firefighters respond to a field and chicken coop fire at 17671 810th Ave. Monday afternoon. The owner of the property was reportedly burning garbage when the garbage caught the field and chicken coop nearby on fire. Officials said the damage was minor. — Sarah Stultz/Albert Lea Tribune

HAYWARD — A chicken coop south of Hayward received minor damage Monday afternoon after some garbage burning nearby caught the field and then the structure on fire.

Property owner Casper Kycek, of 17671 810th Ave., said he was burning garbage when he went inside for about 30 minutes to eat lunch. When he came back outside the burning garbage had caught the field on fire and was moving toward his chicken coop.

Though the coop did have some fire damage, fire officials estimated the structure is repairable.

Email newsletter signup

“Now I know what fire can do,” Kycek said.

Glenville and Hayward firefighters responded.