You Can Help

Published 9:00 am Saturday, May 26, 2012

The following are some of the volunteer opportunities currently open in Freeborn County. If you can help with these or would like to volunteer for others, call Pat Stumme, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program director, at Senior Resources, 377-7433.

Ecumenical Food Pantry: With just three extra hours a month, you can help children, senior citizens and parents have nourishing foods for the month. You become a team member with the two to three other volunteers there who are keeping the food pantry doors open so families are helped. Please call Stumme at Senior Resources 377-7433 for additional times and schedules.

St. John’s Lutheran Home, Thorne Crest Retirement Community, Good Samaritan Society, Oak Park Place: Can you assist moving wheel chair residents? Help residents in wheelchairs move from their rooms to the chapel? Or be there on weekdays to help residents get into activities? The joy you share comes back to you many times.

Email newsletter signup

Humane Society: The animal shelter has a special request — foster homes for kitten families until they reach 8 weeks old. All vet care, food and litter are provided, you just add a caring home to help socialize the kittens. Please call Dee Amberg anytime at 383-0683 or Christa Stieler at the shelter between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. any Tuesday through Saturday at 377-8501.

RSVP, a program of Senior Resources of Freeborn County, receives some funding through the United Way of Freeborn County, the Minnesota Board on Aging and the Corporation for National and Community Service.