Published 6:51 pm Saturday, August 18, 2012
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago — 1962
• In amateur baseball playoffs Wells of the Four County League defeated Glenville, winner of the State Line playoffs, 8-7. Emil Stenzel of Wells was the winning pitcher, and Glen Jensen took the loss for Glenville.
Email newsletter signup
• Dale Houkoos threw a (2) hitter for the Wells VFW baseball team in their first round 5-0 win over Ely at the Minnesota VFW State Tournament. Wells lost to Bloomington 8-1 in the semi-final round. Gary Kaiser was the losing pitcher for Wells. Wells defeated Litchfield 8-0 to finish in third place. Pitcher Dale Haukoos and shortstop Larry Sonnek were named to the Minnesota All State VFW baseball team.
• Jim Gustafson, head coach of the Albert Lea High School football team, greeted nine returning letter winners. They were John Goodmanson, Mike Wittkamper, Rich Wogen, Dexter Westrum, Kent Erlandson, Jim Margadant, Dave Wilcox, Tom Olson and Mel Stensrud.
25 years ago — 1987
• The Albert Lea team of Molee Ludtke, Kristi Edwin, Danielle Bolinger and Kristen Nowak place fifth in the 4×100-meter relay at the Hershey’s National Summer Youth Track Meet.
• The Minnesota Vikings evened their pre-season record at 1-1 with a 37-13 victory over the Indianapolis Colts.
10 years ago — 2002
• Steve Wright defeated Mick Hockinson in the first hole of a sudden death playoff and won the Albert Lea City Open Golf Tournament.
• Laura Hillman and Amy Leach of Albert Lea were members of the Minnesota Junior Stars team that won the Bamtam Girls Championship at the 20th Annual National All-Star Hockey Super Series in Vancouver, British Columbia.
• Quarterback Daunte Culpepper threw for 293 yards for the Minnesota Vikings in their 24-21 win over Buffalo. Michael Bennett, Byron Chamberlain and Culpepper scored touchdowns for the Vikings.