Live opera all set for Saturday
Published 1:30 pm Thursday, November 29, 2012
Albert Leans have the opportunity to see a live viewing in high definition of the New York Metropolitan Opera’s “La Clemenza di Tito” this Saturday.
The show is Mozart’s final Italian opera and is filled with romance and drama. The fun starts Friday at Prairie Wind Coffee where people can learn more about the show. Then on Saturday, a reception begins at 11 a.m. at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center, before the live viewing of the opera at noon.
Tickets are available through the Albert Lea Community Theatre box office.
Email newsletter signup
General tickets are $20 and are $12 for students under age 30. Civic Music and ACT season ticket holders can see the opera for $18.
• Learn more about Saturday’s opera viewing by going to Prairie Wind Coffee from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. Hear the story and more information about the show and mingle with fellow opera-lovers.
• Hayward Lutheran Church will host a cookie and bake sale from 8 to 11 a.m. There will be raffles for a quilt and a quilt chest, too.
• The 17th annual Albert Lea Area Model Railroad Show & Swap Meet will begin at 9 a.m. at the Northbridge Mall in Albert Lea. See the Front Page for more information.
• Arc of Freeborn County hosts its holiday party for young children under age 13 who have developmental disabilities and their families from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the Arc activity room, 407 E. William St. in Albert Lea. There will be games and refreshments.
• The Trinity Women of the ELCA host a Christmas bazaar from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Trinity Lutheran Church at 204 First St. NW in New Richland. There will be a lunch of sloppy joes, chips, dessert, pop and coffee. There will be baked goods and crafts available for sale.
• The Marion Ross Performing Arts Center will host a live viewing of “La Clemenza di Tito” at noon. The show is part of the New York Metropolitan Opera’s Live in HD series.
• Alison Scott and a four-piece band will play at 7:30 p.m. at the Lighthouse Event Center. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door.
• The Full Draw archery club and youth program will host a pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the American Legion in Albert Lea. Cost is $7 for adults and free for children age 6 and younger.
• The 17th annual Albert Lea Area Model Railroad Show & Swap Meet will continue at 11 a.m. at the Northbridge Mall in Albert Lea. See the Front Page for more information.
• The Freeborn County Historical Museum hosts its Christmas gathering starting at 1 p.m. There will be coffee, cider, Christmas treats and fellowship. The museum and village have been decorated and there will be a special display featuring the progress on the museum’s addition.
• Mayo Clinic Health System’s hospice program hosts the Set Memories Aglow tree-lighting ceremony at 5 p.m. Donations toward a light on the tree in memory of loved ones will be accepted. The public is invited to attend.
• The Southeastern Minnesota Chamber Orchestra will hold a Christmas concert at 7 p.m. at Albert Lea’s First Lutheran Church. The concert will combine the musical gifts of the Southeastern Minnesota Chamber Orchestra, the First Lutheran Chamber Choir, the Albert Lea Community Chorus, the First Lutheran Handbell Choir and the First Lutheran Children’s Choir. Tickets at the door are $12 for adults and $10 for seniors. Students up through high school age get in free.