Editorial: Call police when minors spotted late at night

Published 8:55 am Friday, September 13, 2013

Vandalism is not good for business. It costs money and generally reflects badly on the neighborhood in which a business is located. Pretty soon, commerce is down in that neighborhood.

Though there always is a chance the vandals are not from that neighborhood, it is a fact that most of the time they are. Usually, they are juveniles who are out when they should be at home.

We were disappointed to learn last weekend that the six-foot-tall aluminum chicken in front of the now-closed Hotdog House had been knocked over. The owner, Don Wheat, complained of vandalism in the South Broadway neighborhood. That’s not why the Hotdog House closed, but vandalism sure isn’t the welcome wagon.

Email newsletter signup

Parents ought to remember that there is a curfew in Albert Lea. It is unlawful for people under the age of 16 to be out of the supervision of their parents or guardians after 11 p.m. And for people ages 16 and 17, the curfew hour is midnight. In other words, if the kids are not at home late at night, they had better be with a parent or legal guardian.

If people see young people walking around at night, call authorities. The Albert Lea Police Department can be reached at 377-5205. Officers rely on concerned citizens to do their jobs. Don’t be the person who looks the other way. Be a dutiful citizen and call.