Weekend Planner: Renowned choir to sing in Albert Lea
Published 11:04 am Thursday, March 27, 2014
Music will be in the air Friday night in Albert Lea. Carthage Choir, an elite vocal choral ensemble from Carthage College in Kenosha, Wis., will take the stage at 7 p.m. at First Lutheran Church.
In addition to consistent domestic tours, the choir has taken European tours to Holland, the former East and West Germany, the Czech Republic, Poland, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, England, Germany, and most recently, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
A choir of strong academic and professional repute, the Carthage Choir was selected to perform for the Wisconsin Music Educator’s Association in 2009 and 2012 and for the Wisconsin Choral Director’s Association in 2011 and 2014.
Music professor Eduardo Garcia-Novelli is the conductor of the Carthage Choir and director of choral activities at Carthage. Garcia-Novelli is a native of Argentina and most recently director of choral activities at Lamar University. After serving for six years as assistant director of the National Young People Choir of Argentina and a fruitful high school choral directing career in Buenos Aires, including several international tours, he moved to the United States to pursue graduate studies.
A donation will be accepted to offset the cost of the tour.
• The play “Anchors Aweigh: A Farce at Sea” will be at 7 p.m. at Southwest Middle School.
• Bingo will be at 7 p.m. at the Albert Lea Eagles Club.
• A concert will be at 7:30 p.m. at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center. Becky Schlegal, a soprano, sings songs based on her life experiences.
• The Albert Lea Moose Lodge will have an all-you-can-eat meal with entertainment by “Terry-okie.”
• A karaoke contest will be at 8 p.m. at Big Island Grille & Bar. The top two finalists of the contest qualify for the championship on May 31. Preregistration is required but sign up is free.
• “Karaoke with Laurie” will be at 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. at the Albert Lea American Legion.
• The Albert Lea Eagles Club will have music by “DeAnn Randal.”
• The Elementary Secondary Student Art Show will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Albert Lea Art Center.
• Author Katie Godfrey will be reading and signing copies of her book “Sweety Finds Her Family” from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
•A basket night and auction will be from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Wedgewood Cove in Albert Lea. Tickets are $7 and are available at Hy-vee customer service or at the door.
• Winter beer games will be at 6 p.m. at America’s Best Value Inn. There will be two player teams. Players must be registered by 6 p.m. There is a $5 entrance fee.
• “Arlen & Butch” will be at the Albert Lea Eagles Club.
• “Megaforce Karaoke” will be at the Albert Lea Moose Lodge.
• A pancake breakfast will be from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Albert Lea American Legion Hall. Cost is $7 a person.
• The Elementary Secondary Student Art Show will be from 12 to 4 p.m. at the Albert Lea Art Center.
• A Lenten organ recital will be at 3 p.m. at Salem Lutheran Church. Robert Tewes is slated to perform.