Not the Olympics: Skating and country this weekend
Published 11:11 am Thursday, March 20, 2014
The Albert Lea Figure Skating Club promises a galloping good time at its 53rd annual show “Home on the Rink.”
The show will be at 7 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the Albert Lea City Arena. The show will feature more than 50 skaters and 40 performances.
The show kicks off with 23 freestyle skaters performing to “Boot Scootin’ Boogie.”
Returning to the ice is the senior line, a synchronized style of skating, performing to “These Boots are Made for Walkin’.”
Senior solos will be by Cammy Tewes, Erin Murtaugh and Holly Thompson. The performance will also feature a champion guest skater from the Rochester Figure Skating Club, David Kaufmann.
The skating club has skaters from Iowa, New Richland, Hayward and Alden.
Show tickets for adults are $8 in advance and $9 at the door. Tickets for students are $6 in advance and $7 at the door. Admission is free for children age 5 and younger. Each ticket is good for both shows.
• There will be an elementary/secondary art show from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Albert Lea Art Center.
• Nashville recording artist and Austin native Adam Wayne will perform from 8 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. at America’s Best Value Inn.
• There will be an all-you-can eat meal at the Albert Lea Moose Lodge with entertainment by “Megaforce Karaoke.”
• A free family mystery movie night will be at 7 p.m. at Marion Ross Performing Arts Center. The surprise movie will be rated PG.
• “Sounds to RAHK” will be at the Albert Lea Eagles Club.
• There will be an elementary/secondary student art show at from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Albert Lea Art Center.
• There will be a benefit for the Boelman family benefit from 5 p.m. to midnight. There will be a $7 pulled pork sandwich dinner and a silent auction. Tony is battling pancreatic cancer and the money raised will help the family. Formal dress is optional, as it is the couple’s anniversary.
• “KB Karaoke” will be at the Albert Lea Moose Lodge.
• “Full House” will perform at the Albert Lea Eagles Club.
• There will be a Hawaiian themed spring fling event in downtown Glenville. There will be hula hoop and Limbo contests with prizes. Music will be provided by “Grizzly Sound DJ.”
• There will be a breakfast at the American Legion from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Pancakes, sausages, scrambled eggs, potatoes, juice, milk and coffee will be served. There will be Vietnam veteran photos and articles on display. The is a suggested donation of $7.
• There will be a breakfast from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Albert Lea Eagles Club.
• There will be an elementary/secondary art show from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Albert Lea Art Center.
• A Lenten organ recital will be at 3 p.m at Salem Lutheran Church. Gail Thurnau will be the guest organist.