Weekend Planner: ‘The Nutcracker’ to be beamed from Moscow
Published 10:32 am Thursday, December 18, 2014
Leading soloists Anna Nikulina and Denis Rodkin star in the Bolshoi Ballet’s magical holiday masterpiece, “The Nutcracker,” with a live broadcast to Albert Lea.
The Bolshoi Ballet returns to cinema screens with the magical holiday classic “The Nutcracker.”
Featuring two rising stars of the Bolshoi, the “powerful, beautiful” Denis Rodkin debuts in the role of Nutcracker-Prince with the “exquisite” Anna Nikulina as Marie, this “Nutcracker” is a must-see.
Email newsletter signup
Based on E.T.A. Hoffmann’s story, “The Nutcracker” is one of the greatest classics in the world. With iconic music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and sumptuous sets and costumes, this beautiful tale explores the universal themes of love, power and evil.
“The Nutcracker” will be shown at 5 p.m. at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center, 147 N. Broadway. Tickets are $12 for students and $20 at the door and can be purchased at the box office, the Albert Lea Convention & Visitors Bureau and online at www.actonbroadway.com.
• The Naeve Hospital Auxiliary $6 Sale will be from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Room 20 at the Mayo Clinic Health System in Albert Lea.
• The Girl Singers of the Hit Parade Christmas Show will begin at 7 p.m. at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center, 147 N. Broadway. Tickets are $17 in advance and $20 at the door.
• Ross Kleiner & The Thrill will give a rock-a-billy ’50s style show at 7:30 p.m. at the Lighthouse Event Center, 621 Marshall St. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door.
• The Albert Lea Farmers Market will be from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Northbridge Mall, 2510 Bridge Ave.
• Author Lisa Soland will be signing two of her current Christmas books — “The Christmas Tree Angel” and “The Unmade Moose” — from noon to 2 p.m. at Book World, 2510 Bridge Ave.
• Enjoy swing dancing from 7 to 11 p.m. at Prairie Wind Coffee, 211 S. Broadway.
• Have breakfast at the Masonic Lodge, 147 N. Broadway, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Amaranth pancakes, eggs, sausages, juice, milk and coffee will be served. A suggested donation is $7.
• The Alano Society of Albert Lea will be having a breakfast from 8 a.m. to noon. Pancakes, french toast, eggs, hash browns, sausage, toast, orange juice and coffee will be served. Cost is $6.