My 5 favorite things about spring season
Published 9:30 am Thursday, March 3, 2016
With the weather we’ve been getting this week, it might not seem like it, but spring is finally here. I love spring for so many reasons, so I thought I’d share a few of those.
• Flowers. I love flowers. They are so colorful. Most of them smell nice. One of my favorite quotes is about flowers. Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “The Earth laughs in flowers.” Beautiful blossoms bring so much life and personality to the Earth. Spring is a time when flowers start to grow for the beginning of the year and that is exciting to me.
• Rain. I really appreciate nice weather during the day so my time can be spent outside, but once the sun goes down, I really like a good rain shower. The sound of rain is peaceful. Sometimes I like to think of rain showers as a way to wash away all the bad from a day and start over with a clean slate. I also really enjoy when there is thunder and lightning. Weather fascinates me.
Email newsletter signup
• The smell of fresh air. I really don’t like winter all that much, so I spend a good majority of my winters hibernating inside. Once it warms up, I’m always so happy to finally get out and get a whole bunch of fresh air and sunshine. It’s just a refreshing feeling
• Green. Once the snow melts, we are always welcomed by gross, brown, dead grass. It’s not the most pleasant sight around, but the good news is that it doesn’t stick around forever. The brown turns to green, trees grow leaves and everything is green and looks beautiful and happy.
• New life. All of the little critters come out of hibernation, and they have babies once winter is over. Spring makes me happy because you see ducklings, birds nests, itty bitty bunnies and so much more. Tiny animals are cute enough as it is, but they’re also symbols of new life. New life is a happy and good thing.
Hopefully this white stuff on the ground will melt away soon and we can all enjoy the fantastic season we call spring.
Erin Murtaugh is an undergraduate at Bemidji State University studying elementary education. She can be reached at email@example.com.