Tom Jones: Albert Lea, Owatonna met in battle of the unbeatens
Published 11:19 pm Friday, September 21, 2018
Sports Memories by Tom Jones
Editor’s Note: Due to microfilm not being available, the 25 years has been replaced with 75 years for the month of September.
Email newsletter signup
75 years ago: 1943
• The Albert Lea B-Squad football team defeated the Freeborn High regulars, 12-0. R.E. Carter was making his coaching debut for Freeborn.
• Former heavyweight boxing champion, now Lt. Commander Jack Dempsey, raised $2,500,000 in war bond pledges by auctioneering off a steak and other artifacts at a luncheon in Dallas.
• The Albert Lea Tigers football team was preparing to host Owatonna in a battle of unbeatens. Albert Lea had opened its season with a 13-0 win over Blue Earth.
50 years ago: 1968
• The Albert Lea Tigers football team traveled to Winona and defeated the Winhawks for their 16th straight win. Larry Weller had two rushing touchdowns to lead the Tigers.
• Freeborn defeated Bricelyn 6-0 in Border League football action. Junior fullback Bob Christopherson scored the only touchdown for the Yeomen.
• O.J. Simpson scored four touchdowns for the USC Trojans football team as they defeated the Minnesota Gophers 29-20 in front of 60,820 fans at Memorial Stadium. Simpson rushed 39 times for 236 yards.
10 years ago: 2008
• The Albert Lea Tigers football team lost 35-34 to Mankato East in overtime. The Tigers tried for the win with a two-point conversion after scoring in overtime but a pass from Cody Hansen to Logan Kortan was ruled out of bounds.
• The Alden-Conger football team defeated Hills-Beaver Creek 14-6 in Alden. Lucas Kleinschrodt and E.J. Knight scored for the Knights.
• The original Yankee Stadium closed its doors after 85 years as the Yankees prepared to move next door into their new stadium the following year.
• Two former Albert Lea Lakers contributed for the Viterbo V-Hawks baseball team in their 4-3 win over Mayville State in Lacrosse last Saturday. Senior pitcher Ryan “Big Country” Boelk started the game, going five innings while junior catcher Evan Wick went 1 for 3. Boelk finished off his summer pitching for the LaCrosse Loggers in the Northwoods League.