Conger named after Iowa representative
Published 9:00 am Sunday, March 1, 2020
Conger, known as “the biggest little town in Minnesota,” was named after a man from Iowa named E.H. Conger.
According to the “Freeborn County Heritage” book, Conger was possibly a state representative or senator. He later became an ambassador to China.
The site was originally located between the Fred Miller and Albert Krueger farms in Alden Township.
Email newsletter signup
The book stated in 1898 construction of the railroad was started, and the line was extended from Estherville, Iowa, to Albert Lea. It was completed in 1902.
After the tracks were laid, Miller suggested a village be built and gave Townsite Co. the option to purchase four acres of land.
In 1901, the depot was built, and by 1902 there was an elevator, saloon and general store, which housed the telephone and post offices.
The village was incorporated in 1934 with Charles Sprenger the first mayor.
The railroad was discontinued in 1975, according to the book.