Garage damaged in weekend fire

Published 10:12 am Monday, May 4, 2020

An Albert Lea garage was damaged Saturday afternoon in a fire that started from hot embers in a garbage can.

The Albert Lea Fire Department and Police Department were dispatched at 2:41 p.m. Saturday for a report of the fire in an attached garage at 1201 Columbus Ave.

When crews arrived, they found fire coming from the single-stall attached garage, a press release stated.

All occupants were out of the home, and no injuries were reported.

The release stated firefighters extinguished the blaze and worked to overhaul and put out hotspots.

The cause of the fire was found to be hot embers from a recreational fire from the night before. The embers had been discarded in a trash can the next day, and some of the embers were still hot and caused the garbage can to start on fire and spread throughout the garage.

Damage was estimated at $50,000.

The fire department was assisted at the scene by the Albert Lea Police Department and Mayo Clinic Ambulance.