United Way Volunteer of the MonthPublished 9:35am Friday, November 16, 2012
Meet Steve Lund
Livelihood: retired educator, works part time as an energy specialist for the Albert Lea Area Schools
City: Albert Lea
For how long: 40 years
Tell us about your family: wife, Linda; two sons, Derrick and Brock; daughter-in -law Bridget; three grandchildren, Molly, Maggie and Emmett
Where do you volunteer and how long have you volunteered there?
• Senior Resources board member, two years
• School district, AmeriCorps reading volunteer, seven years
• RSVP volunteer, 7 years
• Past board member for Parenting Resource Center of Mower and Freeborn counties
• Chamber of Commerce Green Committee, four years
• Ecumenical Food Shelf, five years
• Memorial and Endowment Committee at First Presbyterian Church
• Personnel Committee at First Presbyterian Church
Why do you volunteer? I feel it is important to give back to your community. Working in schools all my career helped me realize how important volunteers are in the education of our students. I wanted to maintain that contact with students and staff.
My involvement with Senior Resources has made me realize how many senior citizens benefit by the services they provide and how important the organization is in helping seniors remain independent.
What was the last book you read? “Every Day A Friday” by Joel Osteen
What are your hobbies? Gardening, walking and home repairs.