Ice Fishing Classic is Sun. at City BeachPublished 10:09am Thursday, January 24, 2013
The Fountain Lake Sportsmen’s Club presents its Ice Fishing Classic this weekend. Proceeds from the contest go to support the popular early June event called Take a Kid Fishing.
Contestants will gather at City Beach to step on the ice of Fountain Lake for the fishing contest, which runs from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Portable ice houses will be allowed.
Prizes for the largest fish are $100 for first place, $75 for second place and $50 for third place. The club plans to give away hundreds of other prizes, too, including a Strike Master ice auger. Food and beverages will be provided by the VFW Post 447.
City Beach is at 300 Johnson St. in Albert Lea.
• The Big Island Rendezvous & Festival holds its 13th annual Gourmet Food Auction, starting at 6 p.m. at Wedgewood Cove Golf Club. Tickets are $20 per person or two for $30. Tasting begins at 6:30 p.m. and a live auction starts at 7:30 p.m.
• Crankshaft and the Gear Grinders, a national recording and touring artist, will rock the Lighthouse Event Center at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $12 in advance or $15 at the door.
• The Luther College symphony orchestra, from Decorah, Iowa, will perform a concert of works by Wagner, Elgar and Tchaikovsky at 7:30 p.m. at Albert Lea High School. Donations will be accepted.
• Albert Lea’s Vineyard Church mission team hosts an enchilada dinner fundraiser and bake sale from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Moose Lodge in Albert Lea. Cost is $7.50 for adults, $5 for ages 4 to 10 and free for children ages 3 and younger.
• The Glenville American Legion hosts a pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The event supports the after prom party for Glenville-Emmons High School students.
• A Dad’s Belgian waffle breakfast will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at First Lutheran Church in Albert Lea. The breakfast will benefit ARC, a group that provides advocacy and support for people with disabilities. Tickets are $7 for adults, $5 for children ages 6 to 12 and free for children age 5 and younger. Menu includes waffles, sausages, milk, orange juice and coffee.
• The First Lutheran Church in Ellendale will host a pancake breakfast from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Proceeds go to funding the youth group’s trip to Colorado and other activities. Donations will be accepted.
• There will be a benefit in memory of John Christensen from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Ellendale Community Building. Donations will go toward a scholarship for Christensen’s son, Caden. The benefit will have a bake sale, silent auction, sloppy joes and a hot dog buffet.
• Support the Albert Lea High School choir in its fundraising for a trip to New York City by attending a spaghetti supper from 4 to 7 p.m. at St. Theodore Catholic Church. Cost is $7; children age 5 and younger can eat for free.