Sports MemoriesPublished 11:51am Saturday, May 4, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• Sophomore Jim Bratvold threw a four-hitter and pitched a complete game for the Albert Lea High School baseball in their 4-1 victory over Mankato. Mike Wittkamper led the Tigers with two hits.
• The Albert Lea High School boys’ tennis team shut out Faribault 5-0. Winning singles matches were Bruce Glesne, Ted Unseth and Tom Busch.
• The New Richland High School baseball team defeated Blooming Prairie 13-3. Mike Hatle was the winning pitcher, and Dave Flor homered for New Richland.
25 years ago – 1988
• Inducted into the Freeborn County Softball Hall of Fame at their annual banquet were Gerald Johnson, Al Brooks, Jack Woodside, Elmer Vandenheuvel and Earl Englebritson.
• The Albert Lea High School girls’ golf team improved their season record to 5-1 with a 189-241 win over Mankato East. Scores for Albert Lea were Melissa Boom, 44, Lisa Worke, 47, Pam Stoltz, 49, and Leah Mattson, 49.
• The Albert Lea High School boys’ tennis team defeated Mankato East 6-1. Winning singles matches for the Tigers were Shane Johnson, Mats Fingahl, Scott Peterson and Tim Reisdorf. Also winning doubles matches were Mike Shelhammer and Janne Paananen and the team of Blake Davis and Doug Karge.
• Mike Schiltz threw a one-hitter for the Albert Lea High School baseball team in its 5-1 win
10 years ago – 2003
• In a triangular girls’ golf meet Faribault finished in first place with 361 strokes, Albert Lea was second with 426 and Rochester John Marshall third with 483. Scores for Albert Lea were Brie Woitas, 100, Kaeli Wayne, 102, Catie Rebelein, 110, and April Heilmann, 114.
• The New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva girls’ track team out-scored Maple River 247-105. Winners for NRHEG were Alison Anderson in the 100- and 200-meter dashes and the long jump, Nicole Lonning in the shot put and the discus, Kelsie Hanson won the 100-meter hurdles and the high jump, and Kalisha Anthony won the pole vault.