Sports MemoriesPublished 1:19pm Saturday, May 11, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• In a Southland Conference baseball game, Glenville defeated Grand Meadow 5-1. Dave Hanson was the winning pitcher, and Larry Williamson had two hits for the Trojans.
• Lowell Dopplehammer pitched a complete game for Alden High School in its 7-3 win over Delavan in a Border League baseball game. Gary Johnson and Bob Lindeman each had two hits for Alden.
• The Albert Lea High School baseball team, behind the one-hit pitching of John Goodmanson, defeated Faribault 4-2. The offense was led by Mike O’Conner with a home run and Jim Bratvold with two hits.
25 years ago – 1988
• The Albert Lea girls’ softball team split a doubleheader with Winona, losing the first game 8-5 and winning the nightcap 4-3. Jill Gaetz had the decision in both games. Gaetz had three hits in the first game and Jodi Ackland, 2, for Albert Lea. Gaetz homered in the second game.
• Brigett Matter pitched a one-hitter and Lisa Sveen had two hits for Glenville-Emmons in its 9-4 Border League softball victory over Minnesota Lake-Delavan.
• The Ellendale-Geneva girls’ softball team improved to 10-1 for the season with a 14-0 shutout win over Lyle. Winning pitcher Krista Paulson threw her second no-hitter of the season and had 13 strike outs. Julie Stielbauer and Michelle Eaker each had two hits and four RBIs for the Big Red.
• The Albert Lea girls’ golf team defeated Rochester John Marshall 180-244. Scores for Albert Lea were Melissa Boom, medalist with 40, Lisa Worke, 45, Leah Mattson, 47, and Pam Stoltz, 48. The 180 score set an Albert Lea girls’ record.
10 years ago – 2003
• The Albert Lea boys’ golf team raised its Big Nine Conference record to 6-0 with a first place finish in a triangular meet. The Tigers shot 314 to Mankato East’s 317 and Winona’s 372. Ross Stadheim had a 76, Dan Breuer and Adam Elseth, 79, and Ben Jones and Matt Bennett, 80.