Vietnam veterans family picnic is Sunday at park in NorthwoodPublished 11:24am Thursday, June 6, 2013
NORTHWOOD — The 12th annual family picnic for Vietnam veterans, era veterans and their families will be this Sunday in Northwood.
Serving begins at 1 p.m., and burgers, brats and lemonade will be served. Attendees are encouraged to bring side dishes to share.
The event will be at Northwood’s Swensrud Park. Call 641-909-4579 with questions.
In Albert Lea, Eddie Cochran Weekend will be celebrated. Turn to Page 2 for more information. Also this weekend is Glenville Days. Look above for a story and schedule of events.
• Eddie Cochran Weekend starts. Turn to Page 2 for more information and a cruise map.
• City Wide Rummage Sales will be taking place all weekend in Albert Lea.
• The Friends of the Albert Lea Public Library will host a book sale from noon to 6 p.m.
• The Alden American Legion will host a pork chop supper from 5 to 8 p.m. The Freeborn County Pork Producers will grill. Cost is $9 per person. A flag retirement ceremony will be at 7 p.m.
• The 112 on Broadway hosts country artist Rachel Rhodes at 9:30 p.m. Rhodes recently released “Heartland” after recording it in Nashville. Opening for Rhodes is Riptide at 8 p.m. The concert is free and open to the public.
• The Albert Lea Art Center is hosting its annual Unique Junque sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 1206 W. Richway Drive. Profits go toward the art center’s operating expenses.
• Take-A-Kid Fishing will be from 9 a.m. to noon at Albert Lea’s Edgewater Park. Children receive bait and fishing pole.
• The Land Between the Lakes Triathlon for children will begin at 9 a.m. at the Albert Lea city pool.
• The Albert Lea Farmers Market will be open from 9 a.m. to noon at the North Broadway parking lot.
• The Friends of the Albert Lea Public Library’s book sale continues from 9 a.m. to noon.
• The Lighthouse Event Center will host a flea market/rummage sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• The Lions annual flight breakfast will be from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Menu includes pancakes, ham, eggs, milk and coffee. Cost is $6 for adults and $3 for children age 12 and younger. Music will be by Luverne’s Concertina and local police and fire departments will have equipment there for Touch a Truck.
• United Methodist Church will host a rock ’n’ roll service at 10 a.m.
• The 12th annual Vietnam veterans picnic will be at 1 p.m. at Northwood’s Swensrud Park.
• First Presbyterian Church in Albert Lea will host a spring music recital at 2 p.m.