County attorney wants sex offender in hospital

Published 10:47am Thursday, November 7, 2013

The high-risk sex offender scheduled to move from prison to Albert Lea Wednesday is being held in custody until a judge decides whether to commit him to a civil institution.

Freeborn County Attorney Craig Nelson has petitioned to have Lorenzo Martin Torres, 24, committed to a state hospital as a sexually dangerous person.

Torres, who lived in Albert Lea prior to going to prison, is classified as a Level 3 sex offender, an offender with the highest risk of reoffending.

“It was in the community’s best interest to consider a civil commitment,” Nelson said.

Lorenzo Torres
Lorenzo Torres

Torres had been previously cleared by the Minnesota Department of Corrections to be released from prison in Rush City to move to the 2100 block of East Main Street.

Freeborn County District Court Judge Steve Schwab on Tuesday ordered Torres instead be transferred to the Freeborn County jail upon his prison release until the completion of his commitment hearings.

Nelson said Torres will undergo a psychological evaluation that will be considered in the decision.

A notification fact sheet sent out by the Police Department states Torres has a history of sexual contact with female victims ages 12 to 15. He was known to his victims.

Torres was serving time in prison for one count of fifth-degree criminal sexual conduct with a 13-year-old girl, and one count of second-degree criminal sexual conduct with a 12-year-old girl, according to Freeborn County District Court documents. Both crimes reportedly took place at hotels in Albert Lea in 2010, and he was already on probation at the time the incidents occurred.

The commitment would be for an indeterminate amount of time.