Lawrence Merlin Erickson, 77, Oceanside, Calif.

Published 12:00 am Saturday, August 3, 2002

Lawrence Merlin Erickson was born on July 4, 1925 in Willmar, Minn. He was the son of Lawrence V. and Mildred Erickson of Willmar. He passed away at his home in Oceanside, Calif. on July 26.

He was a member of the Boy Scouts of America. He was a member of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Willmar and served as an Acolyte. He served in the U.S. Navy from July 4, 1942 to May 17, 1944. He was part of the original crew on the Destroyer U.S.S. Aulick, DD569 in the South Pacific with a rating of Sonarman 2/c. He received a head injury while on board.

Also known as Merlin to intimate family, Larry settled in San Jose, Calif. after discharge. He became the youngest commander of a VFW post at that time. He married Betty Jo Campbell in 1944 and had two daughters. He was active in the insurance business. He also lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. and in Minneapolis in later years.

Email newsletter signup

On Feb. 10, 1992 he married Alicia Ross Quivcy and they lived in Albert Lea for nine years. They were both active members of Christ Episcopal Church. Mr. and Mrs. Erickson moved to Oceanside, Calif. on Sept. 19, 2001.

He is survived by his wife Alicia, daughters Jill Jett and Molly Lafley, seven grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

Larry was preceded in death by his father and mother, infant sister Lillie Mae, and brother Richard. He is survived by nine brothers and sisters: Lowell Erickson, Neal Erickson, Ruie Helen Buckley, Nairnee Lynn Fanberg, David Erickson, Judy Ann Rhode, Gary Erickson, John Erickson, and Galen Erickson.

Larry was a strong spirit, intensely patriotic, gracious, of a spiritual nature. He was most happy in a group and he was a gifted leader. He met the challenge of decades of ill health with dignity. He had a generous heart, and a zest for life, colored with abundant humor. He was loved by his family and by all who knew him in his life’s journey.

On July 31 there was a viewing at Peterson Brothers Mortuary in Willmar, Minn. The funeral then followed at 2 p.m. at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Willmar, with the Rev. James Jenkins officiating.