Union workers need to see act’s flaws

Published 8:30 am Friday, February 20, 2009

Union workers need to take a close look at the misleadingly named Employee Free Choice Act.

The deceptively named Employee Free Choice Act strips workers of their right to a government-supervised, private-ballot vote and replaces it with a forced-unionization system, where workers must publicly declare their support for a union and publicly sign a binding contract without seeing the “fine print.” After 51 percent sign up, the remaining 49 percent of workers never get a choice.

The U.S. Supreme Court has called this process “inferior to the election process” and most Americans (87 percent) are against this flawed process.

Email newsletter signup

As a worker, you should have the right to a private vote regardless whether it’s for or against unionization. You should be free from any intimidation or peer pressure.

What is truly astonishing and outrageous is that Democrats, who support this idea of non-private voting here in the United States, have sent a letter to Mexico telling Mexican labor officials “that the private ballot is absolutely necessary in order to ensure that workers are not intimidated into voting for a union they might not otherwise choose.” Two names on that letter that you would recognize are Barney Frank and Dennis Kucinich. Who are these elected officials working for? Are they working for you, the American worker, or for the citizens of Mexico?

In an opinion (worth reading) in the Wall Street Journal George McGovern (against EFCA) commented on this private-vote double standard by saying, “We should have no less for employees in our country.”

If you can see the outrageous lunacy in this double standard, contact your senators and let them know.

You can see the referenced letter at: http://www.employeefreedom.org/downloads/mexico_letter.pdf.

Tom Jacobson

Albert Lea