2 charged with assault in beating

Published 9:50 am Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Two men were charged in Freeborn County District Court Monday with assault charges and weapons violations after they allegedly beat a 25-year-old man unconscious on Sunday by kicking him in the face and then threatening him with a loaded handgun.

The 25-year-old man, Kang Chol Tang, was airlifted from a house at 2009 S.E. Marshall St. to St. Marys Hospital in Rochester with serious head and possible spine injuries.

Tang’s condition at St. Marys Hospital could not be confirmed today.

Email newsletter signup

The two men allegedly involved are Gilo Otor Gilo, 18, of Austin, and Kim James Gatlauk, 20, of an unknown residence.

Gilo faces charges of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon, possessing a firearm that was not identified by a serial number, and carrying or possessing a pistol without a permit.

Gatlauk was charged with third-degree assault.

According to the court complaint, police received a 911 call at about 5:19 a.m. Sunday, where someone was screaming on the other end of the line. Multiple people could be heard yelling, and the caller indicated there was a large fight and one of the people involved had a gun.

When officers arrived at the residence, a group of people were in the street on Morningside Road and Marshall Street, pointing toward a set of taillights on an blue sedan that had turned into Bimelich lane, according to documents.

Officers pursued the vehicle, activated their emergency lights and then stopped it, records state.

They conducted a high risk traffic stop and called out the people in the car one at a time.

“The situation was very chaotic because at least 20 people from the nearby area were present yelling and screaming, and it was difficult for the officers to control the situation and the persons in the vehicle because of the chaos,” court documents state.

After the people were removed from the vehicle, officers found a long barrel-style revolver in the driver’s seat. The gun had ammunition in the cylinder, records state.

Officers learned there had been an assault and that one person was severely injured.

According to court documents, the injured man was taken into a residence on S.E. Marshall Street. There were broken beer bottles and some spattered blood on the driveway of that residence.

After gaining entry to the house, officers found the man lying on a bed, records state. He was not responsive but appeared to be breathing. He had “serious injuries about his head and face and had blood running out of a swollen red eye. His cheeks and jaw were swollen. It appeared that his right leg might also be injured.”

Authorities learned there had been three people involved in the fight. A witness told authorities Gatluak allegedly kicked the man in the face. Gilo allegedly pulled a gun from the waistband in his shorts and pointed the gun.

Another witness told police they allegedly saw Gatluak hit the victim with his fists and observed another man with him reportedly pull out a gun and point it at the people who were present, reports state.

That man was later identified as Gilo.

Witnesses told authorities Gilo pointed the gun when he was by his car and then again when he was backing up and trying to leave in the car.

The handgun seized had its serial number scratched off of it, and Gilo had no permit to carry the handgun, records state.

The maximum penalties for the charges are as follows:

Second-degree assault carries a maximum penalty of seven years in prison and a $14,000 fine.

 The charge of possessing a firearm without a serial numbers has a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

 The charge of carrying or possessing a pistol without a permit carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a $3,000 fine.

 Third-degree assault carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.