Smoke reported at Glenville-Emmons High School gymnasium

Published 10:38 am Friday, June 11, 2010

The smell of smoke resulted in the Glenville Fire Department being sent this morning to the gymnasium area at Glenville-Emmons High School.

However, there was little damage.

Leland Johnson, building director for the Glenville-Emmons School District, said a bad motor from a ventilation fan in the gymnasium area started smoking at about 10 a.m.; however, it did not catch fire.

Email newsletter signup

The motor was above the stage on the east end of the gym, Johnson said. The fan would draw air out of the locker room into the gym.

He said he and others were at the Glenville-Emmons Elementary School Thursday tearing down the classrooms and cleaning them, so they were off today.

When he arrived, he could smell smoke from the hallway. He said there was “quite a bit of smoke” in the gym.

Johnson said the motor will need to be replaced; otherwise, there was no other damage. An electrician was also being called in to check wiring.

With school letting out last week, there were only a few staff members there at the time the smoking started.