You Can Help

Published 9:00 am Saturday, November 13, 2010

The following are some of the volunteer opportunities currently open in Freeborn County. If you can help with any of them or would like to volunteer for others, call Pat Stumme, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program director, at Senior Resources, 377-7433.

Adult Basic Education: You CAN help adults who are English Language Learners as they work on completing GED and other classes for citizenship. Classes are 9 to 11:30 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. at Brookside Education Center. Please call Diane at ABE, Adult Basic Education, 379-4866 to lend a hand.

Gentle persons are also needed in the child care room to read and play with the little ones while parents are learning English skills.

Email newsletter signup

Tree Decorating: Do you like to decorate for the holidays? Help plan and decorate a tree for the Albert Lea Art Center holiday display. RSVP can have a tree if you and several friends will help. This can be scheduled to fit your preference, but it needs to be done before Thanksgiving.

Reading Partners: Students at Sibley Elementary School are now waiting for a helpful adult to read with them once a week either before or after school. Choose a day that is convenient for you and we will match you with a student needing a bit of personal attention. Just call Pat at 377-7433 and help enrich a child’s life.

RSVP, a program of Senior Resources of Freeborn County, receives some funding through the United Way of Freeborn County, the Minnesota Board on Aging, and the Corporation for National and Community Service.