Holly Jolly Holiday Festival
Published 9:10 am Saturday, December 4, 2010
LAKE MILLS, Iowa — The annual Holiday Festival in this city is Saturday, Dec. 11, with many events throughout the town. Pit Stop Printing is just one of the businesses in town holding specials for the celebration.
The owner, Katie Benson, said the shop will be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the day of the celebration. Benson said she hopes people will stop in to do some holiday shopping because she plans to have many little helpers that day so orders can be made that day.
Pit Stop Printing features custom apparel, decals for any smooth surface as well as other products like printed advertising or stationery. Benson said she plans to have tote bags, T-shirts, hats, baby clothes and other clothing products ready for Dec. 11 so people can stop in, pick a design and leave with a completed product.
“We take orders for big and small projects,” Benson said.
She said that many orders will be able to be completed the same day of the festival, and if an order isn’t able to be completed it will be within a week. She said she’d try her best to be able to make orders as quickly as possible so they’re ready for the holidays.
She has such unique items as crystals that photos can be put onto or tote bags with family member’s names on them as well.
Benson said she specializes in helping people pick out gifts for those who are hard to buy for. She has books and catalogs full of designs to help suggest ideas, and she often creates designs herself.
“Once in a while I get a little carried away with designs,” Benson said.
Benson can also create proofs of each design before it’s printed so customers can make changes or suggestions. On the day of the festival she’ll have gift wrapping and many blank clothing items on hand for any design a customer will want. Customers can also bring in items to be personalized, including anything from sports equipment to clothing to scrapbooks.
“Our motto is if they can think it, we can make it,” Benson said.
Holiday Festival in Lake Mills
- There will be an ethnic kitchen from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Truman Helgeson Civic Center featuring baking demonstrations and samples.
- A bake sale will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. as a fundraiser for the Lake Mills Girl Scouts in the lower level of the Civic Center.
- Free child care will be available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for ages 5 to 12 at the library, with a three-hour maximum. Call the library at 507-592-0092 by Dec. 10 to register your child.
- From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. is a Tour of Homes, which is a fundraiser for the Family Career Community Leaders of America. Tickets are $8 and are available at downtown businesses, the Lake Mills Chamber Development Corporation and at each home on Dec. 11.
- From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. a luncheon fundraiser will be held at the 1901 Victorian Home on South Lincoln Street. No reservations needed, and tickets are $5. The menu includes maidrites, chips, bars and a drink.
- At noon Santa will arrive on a fire truck at Mills Theater. From noon to 3 p.m. Linda Kane Photography will take photos with Santa. Photos are 4×6 inches, $5 and will be available for pickup following the movie at 4:30 p.m.
- At 3 p.m. a free movie will be featured at Mills Theater. The movie is “Dog Who Saved Christmas.” Santa and his elves will be passing out treat bags following the movie.