Big fun for all ages slated for Big Freeze event this weekend
Published 9:54 am Thursday, February 17, 2011
While The Big Freeze is sure to delight those yearning for outdoor adventure, a range of activities planned for this event is sure to offer up fun for all ages this weekend.
Below is a list of all activities slated across the area, including those planned for The Big Freeze, this weekend:
Email newsletter signup
• Enjoy the creative works of local artists at the Albert Lea Art Center’s All Member Show. The exhibit goes through Saturday at the Albert Lea Art Center, located at 224 S. Broadway Ave. The Art Center is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays.
• Final performance of “My Fair Lady” at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Lighthouse Event Center. Tickets are $13 in advance at Hy-Vee, Stadheim Jewelers, Marshall Street Music in Albert Lea and the Coffee House on Main in Austin, or $15 at the door.
• The Albert Lea Township Fire Department is hosting basket night at Leo Carey American Legion Post 56 from 4:30 to 8 p.m. Hamburger, chicken strips or pulled pork baskets served with fries, pop, water and coffee are on the menu. Tickets are available in advance from Albert Lea Township firefighters for $8 each.
• Crossroads Church is hosting Shinefest family fun night and auction from 6 to 9 p.m. Live music, food, an auction, and children’s activities, including games and inflatable jumpers is sure to provide fun for the whole family.
• Cold Snap seminar, sponsored by Cold Snap Outdoors, will start at 6 p.m. at America’s Best Value Inn.
• Texas hold ’em tournament, sponsored by the Fountain Lake Sportsmen’s Club, is slated to start at 6:30 p.m. at Americas Best Value Inn.
• Rock on ice, sponsored by the Albert Lea Grizzlies and Albert Lea Park and Recreation Department, is slated for 7 to 9 p.m. at Academy Park.
• Take a Kid Ice Fishing, sponsored by the Fountain Lake Sportsmen’s Club, is slated from 9 a.m. to noon on Albert Lea Lake. Free ice fishing rods, buckets and jigs will be given to the first 100 kids.
• Skydiving/tandem jump, sponsored by Southern Minnesota Skydiving, will go from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Participants are asked to meet at the main carnival tent behind Frank Hall Park to be taken to the airport. The cost is a $50 deposit. Call Bryce Nelson at 507-383-9377 for information.
• The snowshoe shuffle 5K will start at 11 a.m. near the main tent behind Frank Hall Park. Participants are asked to bring a nonperishable food item. Door prizes will be awarded.
• The chili cook-off, sponsored by the Albert Lea Jaycees, is slated from noon to 3 p.m. in the main carnival tent behind Frank Hall Park. Cost is $3 per spoon to judge. To enter the contest, contact Brady Gooden at 507-383-7617. The prize is a $50 Hy-Vee gift card.
• Snowmobile radar runs, sponsored by the Minnesota Snowmobile Club, will be from noon to 3 p.m. on Albert Lea Lake. Cost is $10 for three runs.
• Harley-Davidson games, sponsored by Bergdale Harley-Davidson, is slated for noon to 4 p.m. near the main carnival tent behind Frank Hall Park.
• The Big Freeze Ice Bowl disc golf tournament, sponsored by Nancy Vanderwaerdt State Farm Insurance and Albert Lea Medical Center, will start at 1 p.m. at Academy Park. Admission is a nonperishable food item.
• The kid’s winter carnival, sponsored by the Albert Lea Parks and Recreation Department, will go from 1 to 4 p.m. at Academy Park. The carnival includes an appearance from the Albert Lea Figure Skating Club, a sled building contest, sled race, skating and games.
• The polar plunge, sponsored by the Albert Lea Fire Department, will start at 2 p.m. near the main tent behind Frank Hall Park. Participants are asked to bring a nonperishable food item. All participants will receive a medal.
• Emmons Sons of the American Legion annual Chili and Soup Supper will be from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Emmons Legion. Everyone’s invited to bring a crock pot of chili and vote for the chili cook-off. There is a $5 entry fee with 100 percent payback for first prize.
• The Glenville-Emmons Athletic Boosters will host a pork chop supper fundraiser from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Glenville American Legion. Tickets are $8 each.
• The St. Theodore Fish Fry will be from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at St. Theodore’s Marian Hall. Admission is $8 for adults, $3 for children 12 and under. Children under the age of 3 eat free.
• A hog roast is slated from 4 to 7 p.m. at the main carnival tent behind Frank Hall Park. Cost is $10 per platter. All proceeds go to the Albert Lea Salvation Army.
• A live performance by local band Bad Monkey, from 5 to 9 p.m. is slated at the main carnival tent behind Frank Hall Park. Beverages will be served by Geneva Bar & Grill.
• Dad’s Belgian waffles, sponsored by the Noon Kiwanis, will be served up from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Albert Lea American Legion Leo Carey Post 56. Waffles, sausage, coffee, milk and juice are on the menu. Cost is $6 and proceeds benefit local youth programs. Take-outs will be available.
• Cold Snap auger race, sponsored by Cold Snap Outdoors, is slated from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. near Fountain Lake Beach. Registration begins at 10:30 a.m.
• The Fountain Lake Sportsmen’s Club Ice Classic is slated from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. near Fountain Lake Beach. Registration begins at 10:30 a.m. Cost is $5 per line.
• Awaken! Drama group will perform at 7 p.m. at Word of Faith Dominion Church.
• The Worth County, Iowa, Hartland Achievers 4-H Club is holding a taco feed fundraiser from 5 to 7 p.m. at Northwood Methodist Church. Tickets are $6 each.