B&B where 6 died in fire not licensed, inspected

Published 8:51 am Thursday, July 7, 2011

NEW ULM — The bed and breakfast house that caught fire, killing six people in New Ulm, had not been recently inspected and was not licensed for guests.

New Ulm fire marshal Ellwood Zabel says he didn’t do an annual inspection of the Bohemian Bed and Breakfast because the owner said it would not be used for guests. City records show owner Roberta McCrea did not apply for a license to use the house for lodging in 2011.

Authorities have not identified the victims of the fire Saturday, but family members say McCrea, her 15-year-old daughter, Abby, and 3-year-old daughter, Savannah, were among the victims. Four others escaped the fire.

Email newsletter signup

Wilfred Uhing says his father, Andy Uhing of rural Hartington, Neb., also died in the fire, while his mother, Sandy, escaped. Uhing said another couple who were friends of his parents also died in the fire.