Published 9:25 am Thursday, January 5, 2012
The Geneva Cancer Auction kicks off its 28th year on Friday at 7 p.m. at the Geneva Bar & Grill. The auction has reached the $1 million mark in the past, and more than 90 percent of the funds raised go to cancer research.
The event continues Saturday starting at 2 p.m. and again Jan. 13 at 7 p.m. and Jan. 14 at 2 p.m. The Minnesota Vikings cheerleaders will make a visit on Jan. 13. The auction runs four days because so many items are donated.
All money raised goes through the Albert Lea Eagles to the Eagles Cancer Telethon based out of Rochester. The money is then distributed to the Mayo Clinic Foundation for Cancer Research, the University of Minnesota and the Hormel Institute.
Email newsletter signup
• The Geneva Cancer Auction kicks off at 7 p.m. at Geneva Bar & Grill.
• The Geneva Cancer Auction continues at 2 p.m. at Geneva Bar & Grill.
• The Full Draw Archery Club hosts a 3D tournament from 5 to 10 p.m. in the upper part of the Knutson Building at 133 S. Newton Ave. in Albert Lea. The tournament continues Sunday.
• The Full Draw Archery Club continues its 3D tournament from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the upper part of the Knutson Building at 133 S. Newton Ave. in Albert Lea.
• The Albert Lea girls’ basketball program will host a pancake breakfast at the Moose Lodge in Skyline Plaza from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Menu includes egg bake, pancakes, juice, coffee and milk. Cost is $6 and children age 5 and under are free.
• The Masonic Lodge in Albert Lea will host an Amaranth Pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Menu includes pancakes, eggs, sausage, orange juice and coffee. Albert Lea High School students in the music department will wait tables.