Man reportedly fights police, medics

Published 10:16 am Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Northwood, Iowa, man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly hit his girlfriend while in Albert’s Lea Hy-Vee and then assaulted others who tried to step in.

Phillip Patrick Drozda, 40, is also accused of assaulting a police officer who responded at the scene and spitting in the face of a paramedic.

Phillip Patrick Drozda

The incident reportedly took place Friday evening.

Email newsletter signup

According to court documents, one witness told police he had heard Drozda arguing at the service counter with his girlfriend when Drozda reportedly hit the woman in the face with his left hand.

He then reportedly left the store, got into a gold-colored Pontiac Grand Prix, drove out of the parking lot and then up to the front entrance. He reportedly spun his tires and took off forward as the girlfriend tried to get in the car.

After doing this several times, Drozda got out of the car and his girlfriend sat down in the driver’s seat of the car, according to the witness.

The witness alleges Drozda hit the woman several more times. The witness yelled at Drozda to get his attention.

A second witness who was with her husband and granddaughter said her husband tired to help restrain Drozda, but while doing so Drozda reportedly pushed him and their granddaughter to the ground and began kicking her husband.

The woman tried to step in and pushed Drozda, but the man reportedly pushed her back and punched her in the face.

Drozda ultimately fled by foot southward into the parking lot of Northbridge Mall toward Shoe Sensation, where an officer found him.

Court documents state when officers and paramedics arrived, Drozda reportedly attempted to spit in the face of the paramedic and then allegedly kicked the officer at least eight to 10 times in the groin and then also in the back, arms, upper arms and even face.

Drozda has been charged with seven counts:

• Felony domestic assault.

• Fifth-degree assault involving two or more convictions in three years.

• Fourth-degree assault of a peace officer.

• Obstructing the legal process by interfering with a peace officer.

• Fourth-degree intentional damage to property.

• Domestic abuse, violating order for protection.

• Domestic abuse, violating order for protection while possessing a dangerous weapon.

He reportedly smelled of alcohol when he was arrested.

He faces a maximum of five years in prison on the most severe charges.