Published 12:33 pm Saturday, May 26, 2012
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1962
• John Thorson threw a two-hit shut out for Grace Lutheran in their 7-0 win over Hartland in a National Division Church League softball game.
• Austin defeated Albert Lea High School in District 2 track and field by a 62.5 to 56.75 score. Placing first for the Tigers were Jack Heather in the 880-yard run, Lowell Syverson in the broad jump and Jeff Brooke in the shot put and the discus.
• Denny Tostenson was the winning pitcher for the Albert Lea High School baseball team in their 5-4 victory over Rochester. Dave Elvebak, John Goodmanson and Tostenson each had two hits for the Tigers.
25 years ago – 1987
• The Wells-Easton track and field team won the true team title with 457 points to second place Elgin-Millville’s 431 in Region 1-A and advanced to the Minnesota State Tournament. Mike Yonkey won the 110-meter high hurdles, the shot put, the discus and placed second in the high jump for W-E.
• The Glenville girls’ softball team defeated Waterville-Elysian 7-1 for their 47th straight Gopher Conference win and their sixth straight Gopher Conference title. Briget Matter was the winning pitcher and Marnie McGuire had two RBIs.
• Northwood-Kensett won the North Iowa golf title with a score of 178 to second place Lake Mills’ 180. Scoring for the Vikings were Robb Ensign and Ken Norland with 43 and Troy Hanson and Steve Peterson with 46.
Email newsletter signup
10 years ago – 2002
• United South Central girls’ softball team improved to 9-5 in the South Central Conference with a 9-7 win over St. Peter. Leading the offense were Nicole Fulton with a double and a home run and three RBIs, Kim Schultz with three hits and Andrea Eilertson with two hits.
• In an eight inning baseball game Albert Lea High School defeated Austin 3-2. Isaac Walton pitched the win and had two hits as did Adam Highum.
• The Albert Lea High School girls’ softball team defeated Owatonna 8-4. Ashley Chrz was 3-3 and Jenny Hovendick was 2-2.