A.L. gears up for rock ’n’ roll weekend
Published 9:59 am Thursday, June 7, 2012
Get ready for some rock ’n’ roll music this weekend as Albert Lea celebrates the life of Eddie Cochran in myriad ways.
For more information on the 26th annual Eddie Cochran car show and cruise, see the Friday edition of the Tribune. The show is hosted by the Freeborn County Historical Museum, taking over for the Low Bucks Car Club.
A local concert hall will do a tribute to Eddie Cochran’s music and also playing music inspired by Cochran on Saturday and Sunday. Merle Krause, owner of the Lighthouse Event Center, said back before anyone had taken over organizing Eddie Cochran Weekend he and his band mates had talked about the possibility of paying musical tribute to Cochran.
Email newsletter signup
“We want to pay tribute to this man who played a very important role in our musical lives,” Krause said.
While the shows will be at 3 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday and at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Lighthouse, Krause said the group will also perform at 7 p.m. today at Northbridge Mall for free. Tickets to the weekend shows at the Lighthouse are $10 for adults and $5 for students.
“It’s about tourism,” Krause said. “We want to share what we’re doing at the Lighthouse and make this a big event.”
Krause will be playing along with Doug Neste, Darrell Amundson, Jim Pilgrim and Brandon John Ellis. Tickets are available at Marshall Street Music, Hy-Vee and Stadheim Jewelers in Albert Lea and Coffee House on Main in Austin.
The Pelican Breeze II has started cruises for the summer and has partnered with Green Mill to provide food and beverages. Many cruises require reservations by 4 p.m. on Fridays; call the Albert Lea Parks and Recreation Department at 377-4370.
This weekend is also Glenville Days in Glenville. Look to Page 5 for more information and a schedule of events.
• First Lutheran Church hosts a salad luncheon from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Cost is $8, and tickets are available at the church office. Proceeds will benefit the parlor project.
• The Alden American Legion hosts the annual pork chop supper from 5 to 8 p.m. Cost is $9 per person. Menu includes pork chops, beans, coleslaw, bun and beverage. A flag retirement ceremony will be at 7 p.m.
• Albert Lea’s hospital hospice program hosts its 12th annual walk/run at 7:30 a.m. at the Freeborn County Fairgrounds. Funds go to volunteer services, bereavement care and hospice programs that aren’t covered by insurance.
• The Albert Lea Art Center hosts its Unique Junque Sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 1206 W. Richway Drive. Profits from the fundraiser go to operating expenses for the art center.
• The annual Take-A-Kid Fishing event will start at 9 a.m. in Albert Lea’s Edgewater Park. Come enjoy the chance to help a kid fall in love with fishing.
• Albert Lea’s Sample Saturday Series starts with free disc golf instruction at 10 a.m. at Bancroft Bay Park.
• First Lutheran Church in Glenville hosts a Dad’s Belgian Waffles breakfast from 8 a.m. to noon. Cost is $7 for adults and $6 for children age 5 to 12. The breakfast benefits confirmation camp and youth attending the national church youth gathering. Menu includes waffles, sausage, flavored syrups and beverage, all you care to eat.
• Touch-A-Truck will be from 9 a.m. to noon at the Albert Lea Airport. The free event is hosted by the Albert Lea Parks and Recreation Department in conjunction with the LakeView and Cloverleaf Lions annual flight breakfast. The breakfast will be from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Menu includes pancakes, ham, eggs, milk and coffee; cost is $6 for adults and $3 for children age 12 and younger.